Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Asheville,NC/Charleston,SC Trip April '11

I hope no one minds, but here is a link to my favorite BBQ restaurant. The most notable characteristic of the SC Low Country BBQ is the mustard-based sauce, and my humble opinion, no one does it better than Thomas Bessinger.

Back in the 70's, it was a drive in restaurant and I spent many happy hours "hanging out" there in my GTO! The picture is from that era.

Take a few minutes and explore the site. I can highly recommend eating here for anyone that makes the trip!

http://bessingersbbq.com/home/default.html

Thanks for the link. It looks like a place we need to visit while in Charleston. It will be fun to see how it compares to the BBQ we had last weekend @ BobFest. The different regions of the country have their own way of making the BBQ sauce and preparing the meat.:)

Chattanooga Layover

I wish some of you Northern XLR comrads would stop in Chattanooga on the way back North for a little Southern hospitality. Even if it's not but for a night, it would be a pleasure to host a little gather here in Choo-Choo town.

I am talking to the wife about meeting the group in Ashville on your way down to Charleston, but won't be able to make the full trip. We love the Biltmore, having gone there several times as a couple for the last 30 years. I'll even show you some secret parking places I know of.

My offer still stands for a memorable tour of my buddies car collection downtown Chattanooga if you decide to stop here on the way home.

XLR KEN :blinzel:

Made reservations today at the Holiday Inn, Sat. Apr. 9 - Tues. Apr. 12:wave:

John

That's great, John. Looking forward to meeting you. This should be a great trip!!

Made reservations today at the Holiday Inn, Sat. Apr. 9 - Tues. Apr. 12:wave:

John

Reserved a room at the Asheville Holiday Inn for April 9-12. See ya there!

~Quinn & DD

I'm coming from Atlanta so I'll definitely be there

Brandon

It will be great to meet you, Brandon. We always have a good time on our trips. Are you meeting up with us in Asheville or Charleston?

I'm coming from Atlanta so I'll definitely be there

Brandon

It will be great to meet you, Brandon. We always have a good time on our trips. Are you meeting up with us in Asheville or Charleston?

Probably Charleston, what kind of stuff do you guys usually do this will be my first time going.

Probably Charleston, what kind of stuff do you guys usually do this will be my first time going.

Brandon, it will be nice to have you join us. Our trips are a lot of fun and we like to do a lot of sightseeing. You can decide how much you want to do and what you want to see. There will be plenty of things to see & do in Charleston. Asheville (Biltmore Estate) & Charleston are two of our favorite places to visit and we can't wait to share it with our XLR friends. There is nothing like seeing a group of XLRs rolling down the road together.:wave:

I just booked our hotel room in Charleston, SC for our April 2011 trip. I booked it on line at www.hamptoninn.com

Arrival: Mon. April 11, 2011

Departure: Sat. April 16, 2011

**I know our hotel for Asheville, NC says departing on Tuesday, April 12. But we may spend just 1 day at Biltmore Estate instead of 2 days. Given that Savannah, GA is only 107 miles from Charleston, SC I thought we might take a day trip to Savannah. Just a thought. If you guys want to spend 2 days at Biltmore and skip Savannah, then we can do that.

Hampton Inn Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Patriot's Point

255 Sessions Way

Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

843-881-3300

Here is a list of attendees for the Asheville/Charleston Trip that we have so far;
Cubby & Supa (Kevin & Marion)
Quinn & DD (Cathy & Dave)
Chicago Dave (Dave)
Carlover (Maurice & Linda)
Cadillac Tech & Photo Girl (Bruce & Kathy)
Crimson Pearl (Ken & Alexis)
Bloomsman (John & Jean)
XLR (Brandon)
Popbigguy (Chad & Rogene)
Onalaska (Steven)
Gizmo (Marvin & PJ)
bob w (Bob & Gale)

On the fence;
jaxsully
XLR-V Lover
XLR KEN

I would be more than happy to add your name to the list. It will be a great trip that you won't want to miss.:)

What type of activities are you folks interested in for the Charleston trip?

Y'all will be in my area! (North Carolina) Asheville is beautiful! :wave:

Will you and Ashton be meeting us in Asheville then? We'd all love to meet you both. :wave:

What type of activities are you folks interested in for the Charleston trip?
Here is some info to take a look at;
Charleston,SC info
http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ay~1/hotels~5/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ttractions~31/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ttractions~31/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ere_to_dine~2/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...n_beaches~119/

Charleston has a lot to see & do. Beautiful homes & plantations to visit that are just awesome. There is so much history in the area with places like Fort Sumter, Middleton Place, Fort Moultrie & the Battery to name a few. The South Carolina Aquarium is one of the finest in the Country.:)

I would recommend that you include at least one of the Gardens, and either Fort Moultrie or Fort Sumter. Of course, you can drive to Ft. Moultrie whereas Fort Sumter requires that you board a boat. The Battery and White Point Gardens are easily accessed and are just down the street from Rainbow Road.

Don't confuse the City Market and the Slave Mart, they are 2 completely different things! The Charleston Museum and the Aquarium are not very far apart. Patriots Point has the Yorktown.

Lots of good places to eat there. Hyman's Seafood is very popular. It's downtown, not far from the City Market. Thomas Bessinger's BBQ is the best example (in my humble opinion) of the mustard-based BBQ that is found in SC (and the onion rings are as big as doughnuts).

Some might even be interested in seeing the graves of the men who died on the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley. They are located in the Magnolia Cemetary.

If you are interested in a Private Walking Tour of Downtown Charleston, I can probably arrange that as I have a friend that is a tourguide there, and conducts walking tours. He would get such a kick out of seeing the XLRs!

Of course, the weather will be the ultimate factor as to what you do on any given day, but you might want to give some thought to how many things you want to schedule!

I would recommend that you include at least one of the Gardens, and either Fort Moultrie or Fort Sumter. Of course, you can drive to Ft. Moultrie whereas Fort Sumter requires that you board a boat. The Battery and White Point Gardens are easily accessed and are just down the street from Rainbow Road.

Don't confuse the City Market and the Slave Mart, they are 2 completely different things! The Charleston Museum and the Aquarium are not very far apart. Patriots Point has the Yorktown.

Lots of good places to eat there. Hyman's Seafood is very popular. It's downtown, not far from the City Market. Thomas Bessinger's BBQ is the best example (in my humble opinion) of the mustard-based BBQ that is found in SC (and the onion rings are as big as doughnuts).

Some might even be interested in seeing the graves of the men who died on the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley. They are located in the Magnolia Cemetary.

If you are interested in a Private Walking Tour of Downtown Charleston, I can probably arrange that as I have a friend that is a tourguide there, and conducts walking tours. He would get such a kick out of seeing the XLRs!

Of course, the weather will be the ultimate factor as to what you do on any given day, but you might want to give some thought to how many things you want to schedule!

Thanks CP for the information. Your knowledge of the area will be very helpful. I think your suggestion of the private walking tour would be a great way for our group to get to know the history of this wonderful city. If you don't mind, check into that for us. We will be staying close to Patriot's Point so we will have no problem visiting there. I think most of the group would enjoy visiting Fort Sumter. There are many wonderful homes to tour. Some offer ticket discounts if you visit multiple homes...I will check this out. I know Kathy would like to get a group picture of the cars down along the Battery & Rainbow Row. http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/charleston-county/rainbow-row.html
There are several plantation homes outside of town that are well worth visiting. It will take a couple of days to see them all. Kathy & I really enjoyed Middleton Place & Drayton Hall.http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visito...e_do~3/attractions~31/plantations_gardens~50/ Here's a link to area photos. http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/tag/charleston/
I encourage everyone to take a look at all there is to see & do in Charleston, & decide what you would like to see.
CP, give some thought to where we could have group dinners...Thanks.

Bringing this back up front so we don't forget!

Bruce has a separate thread for hotel information. Please go to the events forum and get the information.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom