Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Asheville,NC/Charleston,SC Trip April '11

Henry, It will be great to see you and Pat again!! It's been too long since San Antonio, looks like we'll have a great group.

I should be able to join you on the first day, a Saturday, April 9th ? [don't have a calendar handy] and I spoke to my wife at dinner tonight and I believe that she will come. As for the Biltmore Estate, yes the early morning group photo will be great. Is that planned for Monday am or Sunday am??
Professor (Henry) :)

Here is some info to take a look at;
Charleston,SC info
http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ay~1/hotels~5/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ttractions~31/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ttractions~31/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...ere_to_dine~2/

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...n_beaches~119/

Charleston has a lot to see & do. Beautiful homes & plantations to visit that are just awesome. There is so much history in the area with places like Fort Sumter, Middleton Place, Fort Moultrie & the Battery to name a few. The South Carolina Aquarium is one of the finest in the Country.:)

Now that we are done with the holidays. I urge everyone to look over the above links for this trip. Please do not hesitate to give some input on what you would like to see. Opinions and suggestions are welcomed.

We have a few options for our visit to The Biltmore Estate.
The first option is for us to take a group picture of the cars with the house in the background on Sunday morning. The picture would be taken before the gates open to the public @ 8:30 am, so there won't be any people in the background. We would have to leave our hotel on Sunday morning @ 6:30 am to arrive @ the front gate by 7:30 am. So...what I would like to know is, do you have an interest in doing the picture (it would be a cool picture) & if you think we can get everyone up early enough to leave by 6:30 am. The cost of doing the group picture is $100. After the pictures, we will be allowed to park the cars for the day, backed in against the Rampe Douce (aka the stone wall across the Esplande from the front of the house). I need to let them know ASAP to reserve our picture day.

The other option is, one or two day visit (Sunday & Monday). Once we decide on the number of days we plan on visiting, I can check into a group tour of the house. Check out the website and let me know what you would like to see and do.
http://biltmore.com/groups/visit.asp

The Biltmore also needs to be finialized. Speak now or forever hold your peace. It is very important that we decide what we are doing with the Biltmore. Again opinions are welcomed.

OK, we're off the fence. We'll be joining the group in Charleston and then would like to head for Savannah. All I'm waiting for now are final decisions like when will you all be arriving in Charleston and how long we'll be there so we can hook up with a motel/hotel in Savannah. I'll also make the reservations at the Hampton when it's decided when you'll arrive there. :confused:

I'll just hang out here for awhile and await updates. . .:)

OK, we're off the fence. We'll be joining the group in Charleston and then would like to head for Savannah. All I'm waiting for now are final decisions like when will you all be arriving in Charleston and how long we'll be there so we can hook up with a motel/hotel in Savannah. I'll also make the reservations at the Hampton when it's decided when you'll arrive there. :confused:

I'll just hang out here for awhile and await updates. . .:)

Floyd, I'm glad you will be joining us. You could go ahead & book your room @ the Hampton Inn in Mt. Pleasant for Monday night through Friday night. It is best to get your room reserved before the rates go up. I will post more info later.

Asheville details

If I understand correctly, some folks are making reservations for the Holiday Inn in Asheville. Which one?

Has it been decided which day we are planning for on the group picture of the cars?

Would it be easier to get it on Monday, due to fewer visitors?

We are planning to join the group there and are looking forward to meeting everyone!

Itinerary for Biltmore visit

Here is the itineray that I have come up with for our visit to The Biltmore Estate;
Sunday April 10
9:00 am- arrive @ Biltmore Estate. Park cars along the Rampe Douce for the day.

10:00am-4:00pm- Spend day taking tours of the house. Visit gardens & shops. With lunch on your own @ one of the restaurants on the property.
4:30-6:00pm- Guided tour of the house for our group (the house will be closed to the public).

Monday April 11
7:30-8:30am- Arrive before gates open to the public for our group picture with the house in the background. Park along the Rampe Douce for the day.

8:30am-2:00pm- Self guided tour of house,gardens & shops. Lunch on your own @ one of the restaurants on the property.

2:30pm- Depart for Charleston, SC.

I will have ticket pricing in the next few days.

Here is the itineray that I have come up with for our visit to The Biltmore Estate;
Sunday April 10
9:00 am- arrive @ Biltmore Estate. Park cars along the Rampe Douce for the day.

Monday April 11
7:30-8:30am- Arrive before gates open to the public for our group picture with the house in the background. Park along the Rampe Douce for the day.

To those that have been here before:
:confused:This is going to seem like a dumb question. My only memory of the Biltmore House is a long windy road and a BIG house. So my question is parking along the "Rampe Douce", is this private parking reserved for us? or does the general public have access to it. I have no idea how to find this parking but I assume that if I follow everyone else that should solve the mystery!!! Forgive the dumb question.
Henry

When are you leaving on this trip? I am in Florida until april 30, then my annual migration North to NY.

Rusty

April 9-17. We arrive in Asheville, NC on Saturday April 9. We'll be in Charleston, SC Monday evening April 11-16. We'd love to have you join us.

To those that have been here before:
:confused:This is going to seem like a dumb question. My only memory of the Biltmore House is a long windy road and a BIG house. So my question is parking along the "Rampe Douce", is this private parking reserved for us? or does the general public have access to it. I have no idea how to find this parking but I assume that if I follow everyone else that should solve the mystery!!! Forgive the dumb question.
Henry

The approach road is still long (2.8 miles). The house is still BIG (4 acres under roof).
The Rampe Douce is the stone wall across the front lawn from the house. This will be private parking for our group. The cars will be on display to the public both days. Just follow the beautiful XLRs and you'll be just fine.:) It'll be great having you & Pat with us.:wave:

Ashevilletrip20092199.jpg

Can't wait til spring!!

The approach road is still long (2.8 miles). The house is still BIG (4 acres under roof).
The Rampe Douce is the stone wall across the front lawn from the house. This will be private parking for our group. The cars will be on display to the public both days. Just follow the beautiful XLRs and you'll be just fine.:) It'll be great having you & Pat with us.:wave:

Ashevilletrip20092199.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I feel better now. It looks beautiful and the parking is cool. Looking forward to next April.
Professor:cool:

Interest in a private walking tour?

I have a friend who is a tour guide in Charleston. It is what he does every day. I have spoke to him about possibly conducting a private walking tour for our group. He says that he would be very pleased to do so, and is quite excited to see a group of XLRs! He may be able to find some suitable parking for us as a group.

He also reminded me that April 12, 2011 is the 150th Anniversary of the firing upon Fort Sumter, which marked the begin of the "War of Southern Secession". There will probably be some special events concerning this occasion as well.

Is there interest in this?

I have a friend who is a tour guide in Charleston. It is what he does every day. I have spoke to him about possibly conducting a private walking tour for our group. He says that he would be very pleased to do so, and is quite excited to see a group of XLRs! He may be able to find some suitable parking for us as a group.

He also reminded me that April 12, 2011 is the 150th Anniversary of the firing upon Fort Sumter, which marked the begin of the "War of Southern Secession". There will probably be some special events concerning this occasion as well.

That sounds like fun. Kathy & I would be interested in the walking tour. Thanks for checking into this. We would like to get some group shots of the XLRs down along the Battery or Rainbow Row. Maybe he can help us with this.

I was thinking about how to make that happen. Maybe he will have some ideas or will know who to talk to. I plan to speak with him tomorrow or Thursday.

Looks like we will be coming up to Asheville Sunday morning, as we are only 2 hours away. We really want to be part of the picture on Monday morning!

I have made a reservation for the Holiday Inn for Sunday night.

Really looking forward to meeting all the other attendees!

A simple YES from myself.
professor:)

I was thinking about how to make that happen. Maybe he will have some ideas or will know who to talk to. I plan to speak with him tomorrow or Thursday.

Looks like we will be coming up to Asheville Sunday morning, as we are only 2 hours away. We really want to be part of the picture on Monday morning!

I have made a reservation for the Holiday Inn for Sunday night.

Really looking forward to meeting all the other attendees!

Let us know what you find out after you speak with your friend.
I'm glad you will be joining us in Asheville. I think the group picture will be special. It would be nice to have a large group for the picture.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom