Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Classic & Collector Car Auctions

sschooley

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2008 Alpine White XLR
We are leaving here next week for Arizona to go to Barret-Jackson auction in Scottsdale . .... Last month Ray sold his 86 Mercedes and, I think he is looking for a new toy .... :squint: We're really looking forward to this little trip -

All new to me, but planning to visit my first auction run by Mecum at Kissimmee, Florida sometime during the January 24 through 29th event. It is usually televised live on the Velocity Channel for those folks that receive that cable channel. (Velocity also likes to play the recorded auctions during the year so it is likely to be shown a number of times)

The classic/collector car list includes a couple XLRs and a number of other cadillacs. Should be interesting....

2006 Cadillac XLR 3.6L, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

2007 Cadillac XLR Convertible 3.6L, Automatic for sale by Mecum Auction

Steve

3.6 Has the engine been changed ?

While scrolling through our TV channels I found that the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auto Auction in Scottsdale is are being televised live to us in Orlando on the "Speed Channel". Have yet to see Ruth Ann and Ray buying their new fleet of collector cars but I'll keep watching as time permits.

Isn't cable great?

Steve

While scrolling through our TV channels I found that the Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auto Auction in Scottsdale is are being televised live to us in Orlando on the "Speed Channel". Have yet to see Ruth Ann and Ray buying their new fleet of collector cars but I'll keep watching as time permits.

Isn't cable great?

Steve

We were there Tuesday for opening day .... it was amazing - they start the auction off with the 'less than' cars on opening and then each day they auction off better and better cars .... but ALL of the cars to be auctioned are on the property under gigantic outdoor tents and the multi-multi-multi thousand dollar weekend auction cars are in an inside 'tent' where the auction area is attached. We walked thru all of the tents and looked at all of the cars .... not one word can describe how incredible some of those cars are. The weather in AZ is crystal, crisp, dry and the perfect setting for those amazing machines. Bonus entertainment is the tent full of vendors who sell everything from auto memorbilia to diamond jewelry to fabulous lighted garage flooring ... Walking at a pretty brisk pace we were able to cover the grounds, but definetly did not SEE everything. Next year we are going to buy the event pass, but probably go every other day ... it is way too much walking .... they do rent golfcarts, but that's pretty inconvenient to keep hopping in and out to look at the cars. :)

The first few cars that were auctioned off were definetly bargained priced ..... there are no reserves ... some of them went for pennies on the dollar .... this economy is not a boon for those who are selling ... but the buyers are stealing them. Buying a BJ car is strictly for those of us not on a budget. First you have to register to buy - which is a $500 nonrefundable fee .... then you have to have either a Letter of Credit, or cashiers check, or predeposited funds. BJ gets a 17% after hammer fee, plus the buyer has to pay the local sales tax ... turns out the car can cost almost another 25% after hammer. Too rich for my blood. :blinzel:

But it is the ultimate car show. Those of you who have been know what I'm saying ... I know that BJ is now is different cities - we have one up in Orange County coming in March and I think there's one in Las Vegas in June, but I just can't imagine there is a venue that can showcase these cars half as well as the original Scottsdale location ... as a matter of fact, even though I think it would be a fabulous carshow I just can't muster up the enthusiasim to go - I'll wait for next years in AZ again :rocker:.

Here's the whole deal: Ray said there were too many of the cars to just pick one - he would like to have a stable. JetBoy said he had great appreciation for all of the cars, but couldn't find one that had his name on it. And in all honesty ...... there wasn't one there that was prettier to me than Lola. :love: I think I'll keep her.

BTW .... not an inexpensive car event to attend .... $25 pp admit ... $20 catalogue .... $20 valet ...... $9 hotdog .... and it just goes up from there ... I got cool in the afternoon and bought a long sleeve T-shirt - $54 .....

Sounds like a great experience!

I saw a replay of a BJ auction from Jan. 2011 where they sold as a pair the last Corvette made in St. Louis & the first one made in Bowling Green. Together they had less than 20 miles on them, seats still wrapped in plastic, etc. I think they sold for about $90k. Kind of neat to run across that since the first Bowling Green one was on display at NCH last year & was in the start of the Vette/XLR parade (guess the new owner wasn't shy about putting on a few miles!).

RA, it's good to hear that you & Ray enjoyed your time in Arizona, it sounds like an awesome event! It would of been nice to see a few pictures.:)

RA, it's good to hear that you & Ray enjoyed your time in Arizona, it sounds like an awesome event! It would of been nice to see a few pictures.:)

I thought of Kathy many times and how disappointed she would be that I didn't even BRING my camera .... but, truly, her pictures (and yours) are not as easy to take as I thought. I thought having a great camera would make great pictures ... wrong .... you do have to have some kind of talent to frame a shot worth looking at. I got so tired of going through hundreds of pictures and not 'seeing' what I thought I saw thru the lens. I just kind of gave up.

By the way .... it IS an over the top awesome experience .... imagine enough cars to auction for a week .... incredible ..... already sold like 16 million dollars and the high-dollar cars don't go until tomorrow. Scottsdale rules!

Are you at Mecum today Steve? Cause per Velocity this was Cadillac afternoon! - on replay, a couple Allantes, '70 eldo, '84 Eldorado, a Seville. Looks like bargains on the Allantes.

By the way .... it IS an over the top awesome experience .... imagine enough cars to auction for a week .... incredible ..... already sold like 16 million dollars and the high-dollar cars don't go until tomorrow. Scottsdale rules![/QUOTE]

Years ago we would attend the Kruse Auction in Auburn, IN over Labor Day that is part of The ACD Festival. Kruse International was really the creator of the huge multi day auto auctions, but the BJ auctions in AZ are in a league of their own. They put on a GREAT show!

Years ago we would attend the Kruse Auction in Auburn, IN over Labor Day that is part of The ACD Festival. Kruse International was really the creator of the huge multi day auto auctions, but the BJ auctions in AZ are in a league of their own. They put on a GREAT show!

I've attended the Kruse Auction a couple times. Always enjoyable, except when it rains(the swap meet area was out in the dirt/mud). :(

By the way .... it IS an over the top awesome experience .... imagine enough cars to auction for a week .... incredible ..... already sold like 16 million dollars and the high-dollar cars don't go until tomorrow. Scottsdale rules!

Years ago we would attend the Kruse Auction in Auburn, IN over Labor Day that is part of The ACD Festival. Kruse International was really the creator of the huge multi day auto auctions, but the BJ auctions in AZ are in a league of their own. They put on a GREAT show![/QUOTE]

'Wish you could go to it .... the one in Scottsdale ..... we have 2 other BJ's pretty close to us - LA & Las Vegas .... but they are not the 'same as' .... and, OMG ... that AZ desert winter weather ..... :rocker: it is the PERFECT backdrop for this event ...

Are you at Mecum today Steve? Cause per Velocity this was Cadillac afternoon! - on replay, a couple Allantes, '70 eldo, '84 Eldorado, a Seville. Looks like bargains on the Allantes.

Unfortunately I have yet to get to the Mecum auction due to other obligations that are preventing any "playtime" so far this week. Planning to be there for sure on this Saturday.....So far this week, when I finally make it home.... I have been able to catch up a little by watching portions on TV.
For those interested, the auction is televised live on the Velocity Channel.
You can even arrange to bid and buy over the Internet while watching on your home TV.....

If anyone needs me to collect up their newly purchased classic let me know. I will happily break in your toy until you can arrange to pick it up..

Steve

If anyone needs me to collect up their newly purchased classic let me know. I will happily break in your toy until you can arrange to pick it up..

Steve

Now THERE is an incentive to get down to FL to pick up your car quickly. :chuckle

I'd like this one broken in, please:

OH0909-83691_1.jpg

It is actually one of the lots for sale at one of the Mecum auctions (seems they do a separate memorabilia auction), so I don't know where it was taken.

Most of the lot # pictures online look like they were taken at the owner's house/location. Kind of cool, makes it more interesting.

It looks like the picture was taken @ Bob McDorman's place in Ohio.:)

It is actually one of the lots for sale at one of the Mecum auctions (seems they do a separate memorabilia auction), so I don't know where it was taken.

Most of the lot # pictures online look like they were taken at the owner's house/location. Kind of cool, makes it more interesting.

Well, I just LOVE it .... :blinzel:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back