Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hand Accident

Hi Marion, et al.,
I cannot use the gloves yet. They are snug where the elastic is, and as swollen as my hand still is, I can't stand to get them on. I have to keep the entire hand bandaged for protection with a layer of Xeroform next to the grafted skin to keep it moist and semi-sterile.

Another friend gave me a ice scraper mit with the scraper removed. It has promise too. I am going to try to give it use tomorrow.

Time should improve things. There are little hints of improvment. The range of motion in the remaining fingers is increasing ever so slightly and dead spots on my middle finger seem to be coming back to life slightly. Still a long way to go.

TFB (Three Finger Bob) or for our southwestern members,
Tres Dedo Roberto

Updates

I had meetings yesterday with the hand doctor, a therapist, and the prosthetic doctor. All were encouraging and I am on track healing wise. Now is getting the motion back and I learned some exersizes and maneuvers to stretch and increase range of motion.

Surgical corrections are sounding less appealing. One path is to take my ring finger and turn it around to make an opposing digit. I was interested until I learned that it would be fixed without motion. Another is to build a foundation with grafted hip bone then move the toe. As I understand that, it too is a fixed opposing digit with no motion. There are no guarantees and I could end up with less than I have now and a bad foot if things did not turn out as planned.

The prosthetics doctor is an interesting young lady. We discussed various paths and she will put together some ideas for a meeting in January. Those options come with a price tag and I do not have a point of reference yet. I'll brace for serious sticker shock.

Considerations are degrees of freedom, active thumb, active thumb and index finger, and static devices. There are the functional vs esthetic devices as well. All very interesting.

She said that one source of materials are Barbie doll legs. "They are just the right size and color and we can make cool fingers out of them!" Here is a link. It's for real!

http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/sci_update.cfm?DocID=5

I was told that the 2000 prosthetic doctors in the US are exceptionally busy with Iraq war vets along with the traditional patients. Body armor is creating survivors with severe facial and limb damage.

Bob

The good thing is that they are still offering you options.

We think of you everyday ....
Thank you for keeping us updated - remember that you have a whole forum in your corner .... maybe someone has the 7 Degrees of Separation - knowing someone, somewhere that can offer you some help .....

I hope you can wear the new gloves by now ... it's getting chilly up there!

TFB:

If you've got the legs - I've got The Barbie Car to go with them!

Hey- whatever works, right?

~Quinn

Thanks for keeping us updated TFB. Just remeber you will adapt whatever decision you make.

TFB it has been awhile since we have heard from you. We need an update on how everything is going. :wave:

At the prompting of Little Woman. here is an update.

First of all, Happy new year to all my friend here. I hope that you all had a great Christmas and New Year.

When I visited the prosthetic Doctor earlier she mentioned that some patients had made their own devices. That got me thinking and after rolling around ideas I spent some time with Autocad designing a proof of concept device. A day in the shop prodices my version 1.0 device;

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

And as you see, it works!

IMG_1375.jpg

After using the device I learned of some shortcomings. The frame needed a slightly different shape to be able to pull. The straps needed a D ring to be able to get them tighter. It did not need the swiveling frame joints for yaw, and most important; the joints would slip when stressed.

I rolled around some ideas and came up with V2.0. It has locking joints with a splined shaft that pushes to release then locks into place when I release the white plastic button. The fingertip can be changed from a rounded tip that I usually use, to a bevel for picking up small items. A quick release pin and keyhole arrangement makes that a snap. The straps are better but horribly sewn as my antique sewing machine would not make the bottom stiches right at all. Fought with that for nearly a day trying to fix it. Never did. Argh...

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

This is work in progress and I made a modification to the front frame tonight to use a different strap arrangement that should be more comfortable.

TFB

Genius.

You have made lemonade from lemons .... congratulations ....

I know you have just helped someone else as well as yourself ....

Bless you and Happy New Year to you too.

xxoo

Another thing...

I had set a goal to be able to fly the plane again before the year was out. Last Tuesday a safety pilot and I went up for over an hour. Everything went great. I found a switch that I have to move (the PTT = push to talk) but other than that I am good to go.

TFB

It looks like nothing is going to stop you.....! :D

Good going Bob.

SilverX

Bob, I admire your tenacity. You are an inspiration to me. I particularly appreciate the photo update. There's nothing like a good visual to get a message across. Let's hope you will be joining us on more adventures real soon.
George

Itz great to see your progress and enthusiasm! :bowdown:

Bob, thanks for the update. I'm really glad to hear that you were able to do some flying,I know how much it means to you. You are an inspiration to us all.:worship:

My kind of man. I knew you would figure out how to get a handle on the beer and flying. Way to go Bob. I love the upbeat attitude you have. You always look for the upside to things. That is what makes being friends with you so great.:worship: Thank you for the update.

Bob,

Can you give us an update on how you're doing? It's been awhile. :wave:

Kathy

Bob,
Time for an update. :wave:

Hi there Bob ... well, we all talk about you behind your back :) .... wanting to know how it's going for you now .... Hope all is well .... let us know!

Also .... can I add you and Paula to the San Antonio list? It wouldn't be the same without you ..... and on your way you can stop and smack some sense into Homegameroom :reddevil ..... he needs to be in that caravan!

Hi there Bob ... well, we all talk about you behind your back :) .... wanting to know how it's going for you now .... Hope all is well .... let us know!

Also .... can I add you and Paula to the San Antonio list? It wouldn't be the same without you ..... and on your way you can stop and smack some sense into Homegameroom :reddevil ..... he needs to be in that caravan!
Madam some of the M&Ms will be together this weekend. TTFB is suppose to be with us for dinner. We will be able to give you an update then if TTFB doesn't get a chance to get on here. I will also see my Homegrown this weekend to, I believe, I will smack some sense into him I hope. I'll just get Homegrown drunk and make him make reservations for San Antonio while I'm with him. :D:D:buttslap:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom