Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

XLR brick @ the NCM

Which phrase would you like to have on the XLR group brick?

• None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Performance & Style...Built in Bowling Green '04-'09

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kathy & I are Lifetime Members. We are @ The NCM several times a year, so it is very much worth it to us. :wave:

Nothing here is mentioning the graphic part of the stone. Was that already settled? Can I safely assume it will contain the car sillhouette, Cadillac (script) and XLR: with or without the wreath & crest?

I think that once to poll closes they you should keep the top 3 or 4 responses, get everyone to vote again on those and limit us to one vote per person. Sometimes the 'fringe' votes, aka the ones that did not get many votes can change the final result.

I certainly like the facts like Built In Bowling Green, 2004 - 2009 and total production. The total production is a true eye opener. I am wondering how many of you realize that in 2009, the final year of XLR Porduction there were more Corvettes built in that one year than the XLR's entire 6 year production!

On the final design, I do want to note: (having had experience in the graphics industry)
Make sure who ever does the final design that the full area gets utilized. On every custom item produced there is what is called an "imprint' area, on a 24 x 24" brick that is likely to be 22x22 but may be smaller. Very often that area is not used to its fullest potential, make sure the logo's are expaned large enough to get great impact and the font size of the printing is as large as possible but still retain a balance.....just saying!

Like this?

This is still my vote ... simple!

As Bruce said, Megan says the less, the better. I think this design would look SOOO good as a brick in KY.

The graphic part of the brick had been discussed early on in this thread (feel free to go back and look). This design seems to be the one that got the most positive responses. As Bruce mentioned about keeping it simple - we should listen to the experience of Megan, who sees a lot of different designs come through for these bricks. Also - remember that if any of you want to add a smaller brick adjacent to the XLR brick with various details, that would be fine (ie: if Graytoad wanted to add her name to a smaller brick - and she can put something like "2009 - 1 of 892 made in BG" or something like that.). Just a thought. All the information doesn't have to be on the large brick - think of the large brick as a CENTERPIECE of all of our smaller bricks.

:blinzel:

Of course I agree with GT .... the big brick should say it ALL.

For some reason, the car looks like it should point the other way :dunno: - Just sayin'

All we will need to do is get permission to use it, or as already mentioned, since we are not reproducing to sell, we may not need that even but it is best to ask. As long as the correct unaltered logo's are used I am sure GM would have no problem with us paying homage :worship: to their creation!

Now is probably as good a time as any to bring this up. Having caught so much hell about my fire suit's layout and the hurdles I had to go through to get it approved by Cadillac/GM, I will volunteer to be our POC and fill out and send in the "GM Letter of Authorization (LOA) Application."

GM is the #3 company in the US for sales of trademark and licensing. They makes $3B (that's billion with a "B") on trademark and licensing per year. GM has a very broad definition of their trademarked property:
"General Motors Trademarks include, without limitation, the GM divisional names (e.g., Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, HUMMER, etc.), service programs, slogans, emblems, logos, and vehicle body designs/shapes."
They have a process for acquiring the above LOA that takes about a month. The application fee is $500, but I'm sure I can get that waived like I did before. If approved they will send us a letter granting our use of the specific licenses and what they are authorized to be used for, how, and how long. Lastly, we will have 7 days from receipt of the LOA to decline any terms, conditions, or obligations that we do not agree with.

The application is targeted for car clubs, individual enthusiasts, for-profit organizations, and "other." I figure if I emphasize "group of XLR enthusiasts" and the fact that the brick is a charitable deduction and no one will profit from the use of the trademarks we should be OK. In doing so, we can once and for all verify form the source whether or not GM claims trademark rights to the silhouette. In the list of trademarks to be used I will list: 1) silhouette, 2) Cadillac script, 3) XLR logo, and 4) Cadillac Emblems.

QUESTIONS I HAVE FOR THE GROUP:

1. Do we want to use this application strictly for the brick or should we also use this opportunity to get LOA approval for other items the group uses/creates e.g., Trip shirts, MM Logo, MM paraphernalia (Christmas ornaments, fuse box covers, travel mugs,etc.)? There is a category in the application for "Not For Profit Automobile Club - For Sale Items To Club Members Only".

2. Do we want to include Slogans and other emblems in our request?

3. Do we want anything else I may have forgotten?

Maybe we could put this on the large brick;

Cadillac XLR
Performance & Style

16,652 Built with Pride in Bowling Green 2004-2009

Now is probably as good a time as any to bring this up. Having caught so much hell about my fire suit's layout and the hurdles I had to go through to get it approved by Cadillac/GM, I will volunteer to be our POC and fill out and send in the "GM Letter of Authorization (LOA) Application."

GM is the #3 company in the US for sales of trademark and licensing. They makes $3B (that's billion with a "B") on trademark and licensing per year. GM has a very broad definition of their trademarked property: They have a process for acquiring the above LOA that takes about a month. The application fee is $500, but I'm sure I can get that waived like I did before. If approved they will send us a letter granting our use of the specific licenses and what they are authorized to be used for, how, and how long. Lastly, we will have 7 days from receipt of the LOA to decline any terms, conditions, or obligations that we do not agree with.

The application is targeted for car clubs, individual enthusiasts, for-profit organizations, and "other." I figure if I emphasize "group of XLR enthusiasts" and the fact that the brick is a charitable deduction and no one will profit from the use of the trademarks we should be OK. In doing so, we can once and for all verify form the source whether or not GM claims trademark rights to the silhouette. In the list of trademarks to be used I will list: 1) silhouette, 2) Cadillac script, 3) XLR logo, and 4) Cadillac Emblems.

1. Do we want to use this application strictly for the brick or should we also use this opportunity to get LOA approval for other items the group uses/creates e.g., Trip shirts, MM Logo, MM paraphernalia (Christmas ornaments, fuse box covers, travel mugs,etc.)? There is a category in the application for "Not For Profit Automobile Club - For Sale Items To Club Members Only".

Group Members:
I do not know how the rest of the group members feels about the word Roadster but one of the unique things about the XLR, it is named a Roadster. It was just something that crossed my mind to mention. It personally dosen't matter to me. Just wanted mention it. :dunno: What's your opinnions????

Dan & Wendy

Kathy & I are Lifetime Members. We are @ The NCM several times a year, so it is very much worth it to us. :wave:

Thanks Bruce! I'm looking at it this way either 125.00 for the brick 150.00 and get both brick and a year membership. Do they run a membership from a calendar year (Jan - Dec) or the 1 year from the date you join? If with do the NCM trip next year in Sept. or Oct. I would have to renew by then either way.

Dan :wave:

GM is the #3 company in the US for sales of trademark and licensing. They makes $3B (that's billion with a "B") on trademark and licensing per year. GM has a very broad definition of their trademarked property: They have a process for acquiring the above LOA that takes about a month. The application fee is $500, but I'm sure I can get that waived like I did before. If approved they will send us a letter granting our use of the specific licenses and what they are authorized to be used for, how, and how long. Lastly, we will have 7 days from receipt of the LOA to decline any terms, conditions, or obligations that we do not agree with.

Good idea to use the opportunity to ask for 'other use approval'. You should state that the logos will not be altered in any way, and for sale/distribution to club members and reinterate that no profit will incur.

Maybe we could put this on the large brick;

Cadillac XLR
Performance & Style

16,652 Built with Pride in Bowling Green 2004-2009

I LOVE THAT!!!

(Can I change my vote to this one???)
Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind ..... Thank you Bruce :hearseespk: .... So perfect, it says it all .....

Bruce's design (if I read it correctly):

If the Built with Pride in Bowling Green was on its own line the font would be bigger and easier to read then a line below with 2004-2009 ~ Only 16,652 Produced
..........just a suggestion

Hey Giz,

We should check with Megan, at the museum, but I thought I remember her telling someone that we did not have to get GM's "authorization" for anything on the brick because the museum is a non-profit organization - they do not have a problem with any of GM's logos being used on the bricks that people "donate". Now that would be different if anyone wanted to use the "brick design" for shirts, dash plaques, etc.....

Dave

XLR Brick Idea 001.jpg

So here is Bruce's idea - how I see it. Looks good, Bruce!

Hey Giz,

We should check with Megan, at the museum, but I thought I remember her telling someone that we did not have to get GM's "authorization" for anything on the brick because the museum is a non-profit organization - they do not have a problem with any of GM's logos being used on the bricks that people "donate". Now that would be different if anyone wanted to use the "brick design" for shirts, dash plaques, etc.....

Dave[/QUOTE

Dave I do remember reading that also and I believe she had told me that also!
Thx Dan

We will vote on the final designs after the current poll ends tomorrow. It looks great Dave! Anyone else have a design they would like to submit?

For some reason, the car looks like it should point the other way

+1

Megan confirmed that we are paid in full and that any thing that is GM or Cadillac is allowed on the brick, they have used all these logo's, ect... on hats shirts & ect... Megan said it will be ok to use what ever we wish! Since it's not for resale and it's a donation, makes it completely legal also!

woohoo-1298.gif
Alright [throws LOA app in trash]! Moving on.

We will vote on the final designs after the current poll ends tomorrow. It looks great Dave! Anyone else have a design they would like to submit?

I updated the one graytoad had originally requested. I like it because, other than the slogan, it has the largest fonts and the crest.

Then I was piddling around with what Bruce brought up trying to increase the size of the fonts and the spacing.
But, I kept coming back to "Corvette in a Tuxedo". It just seems so much more appropriate given where its being placed, its a known slogan in the XLR community, and if done in a modern font looks striking! Then 5AM asked, "What if the slogan is written in a known and recognized 'Corvette' font?" WOW! what a concept. Now I need to find a Corvette font....

Late in the process I know but, I like the way it is appearing a lot!! I have a question though, about the silhouette. When I first saw it I didn't really recognize it as xlr. I suspect anyone not very involved in the car will not realize what it is. Any ideas? Am I alone in not recognizing it at first? Obviously the words etc.. should make it apparent, but I am betting it wont. If any of us were to show that silhouette to 20 people, car enthusiast or not, would any know what it was? Is a picture of one possible? I have seen detailed cars cut into stones before.

Mike,

I was thinking about your post and the only thing I can think of is that most people are not familiar with the XLR in general. How many people have you run across, looking at your car, ask you what it is (or that they have never seen one)... so I can see how the silhouette may not be familiar to many people. But I was thinking about seeing if a picture of the car might work. Here is an example of Bruce's design, with a sketch instead of the silhouette. (also, here is what Brian and Giz were thinking about - the silhouette facing the other way). Just a couple more ideas to ponder.
XLR Brick Idea 002.jpgXLR Brick Idea 003.jpg

Dave I love the one on the right. Perfect to me. All of it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom