Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Daily Chat

5/11/10

(Bad spelling - it's Peter Norbeck)

Peter Norbeck was a politician and conservationist who championed the development of a double-loop road through the Black Hills in the 1920's. The road was designed to enhance and not disrupt the rugged scenery. It includes the Needles Highway and threads its way through the granite spikes and tunnels and Iron Mountain Road where pigtail bridges (supported by rustic timber trestles) spiral upward and the exits to the last tunnel perfectly frame the 4 faces on Mt. Rushmore.

The engineers (at the time) said the road was impossible to build, but it was! The road was named after the Senator who champoined its development in 1996.

I plan on starting it at the south entrance of Wind Cave National Park. The road consists of US16A, SD36, SD89, US385 and US SD244 by Mt Rushmore.

I hope it's as nice as the pictures!

http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2459/stories/64787

5/11/10

Rich,

You'll have a great drive, with great scenery. I've been on all those roads on the Harley. If you go top down, there will be some spots where the temp drops, as the sun never shines directly on some areas. We had to stop a few times to put the leather jackets back on. :lol::lol: Have a great and safe trip, we will see you in two weeks!!

Peter Norbeck was a politician and conservationist who championed the development of a double-loop road through the Black Hills in the 1920's. The road was designed to enhance and not disrupt the rugged scenery. It includes the Needles Highway and threads its way through the granite spikes and tunnels and Iron Mountain Road where pigtail bridges (supported by rustic timber trestles) spiral upward and the exits tothe last tunnel perfectly frame the 4 faces on Mt. Rushmore.

The engineers (at the time) said the road was impossible to build, but it was! The road was named after the Senator who champoined its development in 1996.

I plan on starting it at the south entrance of Wind Cave National Park. The road consists of US16A, SD36, SD89, US385 and US SD244 by Mt Rushmore.

Peter Norbeck was a politician and conservationist who championed the development of a double-loop road through the Black Hills in the 1920's. The road was designed to enhance and not disrupt the rugged scenery. It includes the Needles Highway and threads its way through the granite spikes and tunnels and Iron Mountain Road where pigtail bridges (supported by rustic timber trestles) spiral upward and the exits to the last tunnel perfectly frame the 4 faces on Mt. Rushmore.

Rich, that looks like a wonderful drive for you and Misty. Take a lot of pictures.:D

5/11/10

I've always thought it was all emcompassed by the Needles Hiway... didn't know it was called the Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway - it IS a gorgeous drive, in fact, the pictures don't do it justice. I've taken the drive several times... never with the XLR though :(:( (always had to have four seats). Hope you have a BLAST!!!

Thanks for all the good wishes! I'm really looking forward to it - especially in the XLR! I'm hoping for top-down weather, but not betting on it. I've never driven in this area of the country; everyone tells me how spectacular it is. I can't wait to witness it for myself. :patriot:

You will not be disappointed and you are beating the Memorial Day traffic. Plan on plenty of time to stop and take in the scenery.

Might Join the local Corvette Club at Tire Rack's Course

I was chatting with a friend at work yesterday (she's a boardmember of the local Corvette Club here) and she invited me to join them at Tire Rack's road course on the 23rd with my XLR. I am going to find out more about it, but it sounds like I will be able to take my XLR out on the course (as their guest) to race it against the clock. It would be great to eventually bring some more X's to the table (they appear receptive to me). :)
I'll keep you all posted.

Weather today is gloomy/foggy here in Chicagoland.

I was chatting with a friend at work yesterday (she's a boardmember of the local Corvette Club here) and she invited me to join them at Tire Rack's road course on the 23rd with my XLR. I am going to find out more about it, but it sounds like I will be able to take my XLR out on the course (as their guest) to race it against the clock. It would be great to eventually bring some more X's to the table (they appear receptive to me). :)
I'll keep you all posted.

Weather today is gloomy/foggy here in Chicagoland.
Don't forget rainy too. :(

Snowing here this morning folks. Glad I haven't put my winter coats away yet. Guess we all need to get busy and do our Sun Dance so we have nice weather when you get here.

5/13/10
I'm sick of rain. Scarlett went in this morning to get her check up before CO. Ginger is all dirty because of all this rain. :ugh:

Snowing here this morning folks. Glad I haven't put my winter coats away yet. Guess we all need to get busy and do our Sun Dance so we have nice weather when you get here.

Robert .... you get yer arse outside and start dancing it off! XLR's do not like snow! (and we've NEVER driven in it - ... ):banghead: Winter coat??? Yikes! We don't own any!

Meanwhile, on this end, since we are down to a week away, I am scrambling to do all the last minute junk to get the house ready for the house sitter and the car ready to leave ... lucky Ray .... he's just at work putting in his 14 hour day .... ;)

Go figure flood warnings and it's 80 here now and sun is out. Wow what a difference few hours.

Weather

The weatherman is saying Monday will be the only day next week that we will be sunny and dry. :ugh::ugh::ugh: My living room furniture is going outside today so the new hardwood floor can be installed starting Monday. Still have Crown Mouldings to be installed in the Foyer and Living Room and two walls to be painted in the living room. Marble tile is installed on the Hearth but still has to be grouted. So three and a half years later the house is almost finished.:):):) Will give you updates on the weather as they come in. Will try to have the rain out of here before you all start arriving.

Man... is it BEAUTIFUL here today!!! mid-70's, hitting low 80's mid to late next week... TOP DOWN WEATHER, FINALLY!!!

A bit overcast today - soccer game was not too bad (had the XLR out this morning with the top down). Looks like yardwork for the rest of the day - and need to wash all 3 cars.

Have a great day everyone!

Colorado Springs is looking like our winter weather for our arrival. Mid 70's duirng the day and mid 40's at night. Still has not hit triple digits here, that normally happens in April and I still have not turned on the AC :)

Got an email with a free Mobil 1 oil change from my dealer last week so I took her in today to get ready for the trip.

Ready for the trip

Scarlett-V was in for her free oil change along with some minor issues--codes that Cadillac Tech detected a couple weekends ago. New Gas Cap, Drain & fill differential, reprogram PCM (update). Had her out today--top down and she is running great!! Ready for the great trip to CS!!:cool:

Ugh! I'm working on reformatting the hard drive on my PC. This wasn't what I had in mind to do tonight, but I do want an operable PC on the way to Colorado. Luckily, I did manage to save my Outlook address book! My pictures and so forth are on my server at home, so no losses to speak of..... yet....that I've discovered.

Lola got her oil changed yesterday, new run-flats today, and goes back Tuesday to get that pesky airbag light turned off (broken wire) ... she's been in and out of 'detail' since she got home.

Weather here is beautiful - I hope we bring it all the way in to Colorado ... :rocker:

Lola got her oil changed yesterday, new run-flats today, and goes back Tuesday to get that pesky airbag light turned off (broken wire) ... she's been in and out of 'detail' since she got home.

Weather here is beautiful - I hope we bring it all the way in to Colorado ... :rocker:

I certainly hope you bring the beautiful weather with you, I am sick and tired of cold, snow and rain. We got almost all of the furniture from the living room out to the patio today, thank the Lord the patio us under roof. Covered everything with a hugh tarp to keep it nice and dry.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom