Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Going broke

I am very sorry to hear this I hope things will change soon and that Tech gets a break.

Fred

It's so bad that Cadillac Tech is looking elsewhere for employment (after 26 years). Month after month of 10 hour/per week paychecks aren't paying the bills anymore.
I hope things start turning around for everyone. I'm sure there are a few dealers in this area that would love Bruce's expertise. :dunno:

Yesterday after reading this thread I took "Little Bugger" to my dealer to have the liner replaced in the tonue cover and inquired about the Techs hours. They have fifteen fulltime Techs and all of them are getting paid for forty hours each week. Really sorry to hear things are so bad in Indiana. The GM told me he had heard things are bad in Indiana and Ohio and I think he also metioned Michigan. From what I saw on the news this morning I guess the car dealers need to switch to golf carts. Obama signed a stimulas package where you can get $7,500.00 back when you purchase a $9,500.00 golf cart but they don't call them golf carts as you can drive them on the city streets. You don't have to trade anything in either. I bet the people that live in "The Villages" in Florida are thrilled with this big government give a way.

There you go, Bruce .... move to Colorado! :blinzel: Well, after visiting it in May, you just might want to.

I hope you find or can supplement your income enough so that you don't have to relocate. It would be terrible if you had to give up your home, family and friends.

Luck and love to you guys. :love:

There you go, Bruce .... move to Colorado! :blinzel: Well, after visiting it in May, you just might want to.

I hope you find or can supplement your income enough so that you don't have to relocate. It would be terrible if you had to give up your home, family and friends.

Luck and love to you guys. :love:
They can relocate to our area, of course Bruce and Kathy might start drinking hanging around Supa. :)

Moving on

Well, it's official, December 11th will be my last day @ work. I will be moving on to an independent repair facility. It was a difficult decision to make, but one that had to be made. The new job has many positive attributes and the owners are making the transition as painless as possible. I plan on staying in touch with my XLR friends and hopefully they will stop by the new shop and say Hi. :)

Gosh Bruce really sorry to hear this has happen. I am happy that you have found something to get you through these hard times. I wish you all the best in this new endevor.

Fred

BRUCE! I can't say I am surprised, but I am sad to see you leave Lockhart. (What will I do?) Of course I join everyone else in wishing you well in your new adventure. You know what they say about doors closing and windows opening. Just let me know where I should deliver the Long's Doughnuts! ;) Seriously...you should look forward to the new opportunity. George

George, don't worry, I can still take care of your baby. It's just a little farther drive north. I will be looking forward to the doughnuts.:wave:

Bitter-sweet, I'm sure.
Nothing changes, Bruce - you will always be our Cadillac Tech - no one can replace you. We will miss Lockhart's participation - they were very good to us - If the economy hadn't betrayed so many of us you would probably have stayed there as long as their doors were open. George said it really well - new opportunity. Congratulations, Bruce. And Happy Thanksgiving to you and Kathy!

Thanks guys for the kind words. Yes, it is bitter-sweet. I love my Cadillacs, and I have enjoyed my years working on them, but I really think this new opportunity is the right decision.

Have things picked up any in your neck of the woods?

It's been very quiet here. There's not much work to go around in our shop. You're lucky to turn 20 hrs. a week. It hasn't helped that it is back to school time and they also hired two more techs.:pat:

Hopefully things will pick up soon.:)

Hard to figure out why they would hire two more techs when business was so bad. Wishing you the very best in your new venture Bruce. Out of the 26 years, how many were with Lockhart?

Hard to figure out why they would hire two more techs when business was so bad. Wishing you the very best in your new venture Bruce. Out of the 26 years, how many were with Lockhart?

They have now hired two more techs (from one of the closed Saturn stores). Since dealerships only pay techs for hours turned,not for hours working,it doesn't cost them anything to hire more and have them stand around. It kills us,but dealerships really aren't that concerned.They get their 80% of the labor rate on every hour turned,no matter who turns it.
23 yrs @ Lockhart Cadillac.

They have now hired two more techs (from one of the closed Saturn stores). Since dealerships only pay techs for hours turned,not for hours working,it doesn't cost them anything to hire more and have them stand around. It kills us,but dealerships really aren't that concerned.They get their 80% of the labor rate on every hour turned,no matter who turns it.
23 yrs @ Lockhart Cadillac.

Bruce:
Good luck in your new adventure/opportunity. The new repair facility is lucky to have you!!!

I hadn't been following this thread for a while and didn't realize things were so bad in that neck of the woods. Sorry to hear you will be leaving a dealer after 23 years, but I agree it will probably work out to be a great long term opportunity. This will be the dealerships loss. I wouldn't be surprised to hear customers following you to your new location.
Our Chevrolet dealer has a Master Tech in 7 or 8 categories. When I take any of my vehicles (he does my Cadillac for me also) in I don't ever worry about it. The dealer doesn't appreciate how much he helps keep business coming in, if he left the dealer I would follow.
Success and best wishes to you in the new endeavor!
Bruce

I hadn't been following this thread for a while and didn't realize things were so bad in that neck of the woods. Sorry to hear you will be leaving a dealer after 23 years, but I agree it will probably work out to be a great long term opportunity. This will be the dealerships loss. I wouldn't be surprised to hear customers following you to your new location.
Our Chevrolet dealer has a Master Tech in 7 or 8 categories. When I take any of my vehicles (he does my Cadillac for me also) in I don't ever worry about it. The dealer doesn't appreciate how much he helps keep business coming in, if he left the dealer I would follow.
Success and best wishes to you in the new endeavor!
Bruce

Yes, it is going to be hard to roll the tool box out of here after all of these years. I have really enjoyed working here and working on Cadillacs. Things have slowed down in this part of the country, but the dealership system that we work under is the larger problem. Thanks for the kind words.:)

Well, it's official, December 11th will be my last day @ work. I will be moving on to an independent repair facility. It was a difficult decision to make, but one that had to be made. The new job has many positive attributes and the owners are making the transition as painless as possible. I plan on staying in touch with my XLR friends and hopefully they will stop by the new shop and say Hi. :)
I think you made the right decision. The new shop has got a great asset in you. :worship:

Bruce I really feel terrible that this has happen to you. I just dont understand your dealership 23 years with them all that experience you cant put a price on that I just dont get it. I sincerely wish you the best and hope this will be something that works out not only well but financialy lucrative. Enjoy these holidays and dont let all this get you down. God Bless

Fred:wave::wave::wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back