Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Montana Rocket Run 2014

The same from Ray & me. 'Here's hoping you have the ride of your lives - great weather, good roads and great friends .... that's what it is all about:party .... it would be great if you made a wrong turn and came down the PCH ... we would love to see you all! :wave:
xxoo :love:
RA & Ray

Most Hospital Work on Goldie is Done. : )

Quinn:
I, too, am sorry you and David could not come out for the run. I'll be posting pictures as I am able to during the run. Hopefully will have time to do so every evening, but, we'll see...

Hi Rod,:wave:

First to David. Sorry you cannot make it to The Rocket Run. And while I think it's a bit of a drive from Colorado, it would be a really long drive from where you guys are.

Rod, as you are aware we are leaving Colorado on Tuesday next week at around 5:00 A.M. pointing Goldie's long nose North to Billings.
When you get a chance, if you want maybe you could email me your cell # in a private posting and I'll call you when we hit the outskirts of Billings on 8/5/14 Tuesday.

Between taking care of other obligations I have gotten most of the 'hospital work done on Goldie'. She now has all new brakes and rotors. I serviced the calipers and installed new hardware as well and painted the Calipers with high temp gold and clear coat after a thorough cleaning. Installed a new thermal pad with special retainers and reinforcement in the tramsmission tunnel to help stop the heat transfer into the passenger compartment, and stiffen her up a bit more. Actually made my own in the garage before performing the installation. Total cost? $80.00. Running the car on the jack stands it seems to make a huge difference as I took it up to 223* on purpose to overpressurize the system (on purpose) and to check for coolant leaks (none) and feel for heat transfer into the passenger compartment. I also serviced the transmission totally draining the fluid and pulled the pan and installed a new filter. Also the rear differential with G.M. posi additive.

As an aside, the prior original owner(s) had a really bad habit. Whether he or his wife, they both drove with their left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. The car has just over 32K miles on it now, and they had the dealer in San Diego replace the brakes two times in 30K miles! They weren't metal to metal yet when I did them, but were really close. Maybe 1/32" left. When someone drives like this also plan on the brake rotors being warped from the constant heat.

The biggest pain in the b--- was that there was a small oil leak around the front timing chain cover. Just 'barely' seeping oil. So I tore it down and installed new gaskets on the front of the engine + skim coat of RTV sealer. So now no leaks anymore. :) To accomplish this you must pull the radiator, drain the cooling system and all hoses and components to get to the cover. In the process of putting it back together I replaced all the other required gaskets as well and checked and tested all components (ex. thermostat, fan, fan switch and module), etc. --- One should count of breaking and replacing lots of plastic push rivets.:( Why the factory dosen't use a smiggen of RTV Sealer is beyond me?

I got some touch up body work done but not the major stuff. As I mentioned before, the prior owner(s) found lots of speed bumps and curb stops with the bottom of the nose and rocker panels. So this Fall once she is in hibernation for the winter again, then I will pull and replace the rocker panels, pull the whole front bumper, strip it, reglass it and repaint all.

Doing the work on jack stands isn't alot of fun. Oh to have my own lift in the garage. Dream dream. ;) Anyhow, I am now confident that she is totally road worthy for the trip north.

Cannot wait to meet everyone and see others XLR's. --- Sorry again we had to shorten our stay. Should be a really fun time though. Thanks!:cool:

Rod & Cindy,

Hope you have great weather and a great time on the event you've planned. Wish Supa & I could have made it as well. Work is too hectic right now and not much time to get away. Hopefully we can make out your way sometime in the future! Don't let Madmac do any leading with his new ride, you'll never keep up with him:lol::laugh:

We'll be watching for pictures and wishing we were there

Have a great time!!:party

That is about all I gotta say about that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
The same from Ray & me. 'Here's hoping you have the ride of your lives - great weather, good roads and great friends .... that's what it is all about:party .... it would be great if you made a wrong turn and came down the PCH ... we would love to see you all! :wave:
xxoo :love:
RA & Ray

You all have a wonderful trip & be safe! :wave:

Wendy & I too are also wishing for nice weather and for all safe driving during your travels. We will be waiting on some awesome pictures since that's the only way we get to see that area of the country for the time being. Still wish to meet in person at a future event, not giving up on that yet! Have great time! Drink a beer or two for us............
:beerchug:
:party

Rod & Cindy,

Hope you have great weather and a great time on the event you've planned. Wish Supa & I could have made it as well. Work is too hectic right now and not much time to get away. Hopefully we can make out your way sometime in the future! Don't let Madmac do any leading with his new ride, you'll never keep up with him:lol::laugh:

We'll be watching for pictures and wishing we were there!!

Have a great time!!:party

Yes, I wish ALL our extended family could be here in Montana next week... but, we'll be thinking good thoughts of your guys WORKING (or, in the case of retirement, not sure what you'll be doing next week), while we're having FUN IN THE SUN being TOPLESS in Montana...
Yes, Grand Daddy, there will be another time where we'll meet...
You know, RA, that would be one HELL of a wrong turn...

Last edited:
Shirts are in...

And BOY, do they look sharp!!!!!
Just a few more days, now...

OK, Forrest, but that's an awful close picture. I would think they would be farther away!!

That is about all I gotta say about that.

Wishing you and other Chicagoans could have made The Rocket Run

OK, Forrest, but that's an awful close picture. I would think they would be farther away!!

Hi Cubby,

FYI this area is alot like you guys escaping Chicago summer heat into Wisconsin or The U.P. of Michigan. Except we have bigger hills as well as all the pine trees, just not the big waters (Great Lakes). Wish you could have made it out here for this one though.

Maybe next summer someone could plan a rally in The Upper Midwest somewhere in Illinois or Wisconsin?

Regards,

Charles

Digits

Rod, I'm considering leaving for "up Nort'" (as they say where I'm from) in the morning (Saturday). Do you have the phone #'s put together yet?

For those of you heading for MT from other locales, be advised that we are having the Mother of all Monsoons, here in CO, and be sure to pack rain gear and add a little time to your planned trip.

I'm excited. Lookin' forward to meeting y'all. :wave:

Drive Safe!

Tim

I certainly hope you will have sunshine so everyone can enjoy tops down. The sun is finally shining here but for how long is anybody's guess. Roofer was here this morning as we have a leak in the roof.

Sun WILL be shining all week, at least according to the weatherman. But what does he know, right??

Surprise guest to be at MT Rocket run Blastoff!!!

Received a phone call from David North, retired GM designer, who lives in Billings. David actually co-designed the XLR; he and Pat, his wife will be at the Blastoff on Sunday evening. David also has his studio in Billings, that we are welcome to visit, maybe on Wednesday???

Last edited:
Tim (darn it) is right again : )

Rod, I'm considering leaving for "up Nort'" (as they say where I'm from) in the morning (Saturday). Do you have the phone #'s put together yet?

For those of you heading for MT from other locales, be advised that we are having the Mother of all Monsoons, here in CO, and be sure to pack rain gear and add a little time to your planned trip.

I'm excited. Lookin' forward to meeting y'all. :wave:

Drive Safe!

Tim

Here we are almost next door neighbors and where do we meet? Montana. :cool: Something wrong with this I think. :confused: Tim you are sure correct about our weather here so far this summer. Cold and rain, rain and more rain. Ugh. Last week one night it dropped to around 40* and we turned the heat on for one night. Hope we have sunny skys in Montana! See you there:wave:

Here we are almost next door neighbors and where do we meet? Montana. :cool: Something wrong with this I think. :confused: Tim you are sure correct about our weather here so far this summer. Cold and rain, rain and more rain. Ugh. Last week one night it dropped to around 40* and we turned the heat on for one night. Hope we have sunny skys in Montana! See you there:wave:

You're gonna love driving in WY. 80mph speed limit on much of I-25. :) Traffic really sucked in DEN, tho. Even my Garmin GPS tried to get me to leave I-25 and take surface streets. Probably lost a good half hour in stop/go traffic.

After DEN? Hammer down!

On to Billings! C U Tuesday.

Tim

I regret to say that Audrey broke her ankle today and is not able to travel the 900 miles to Bucks or walk much so I called and cancled our 7th & 8th room reservtions .

Rod send me the shipping charges and what ever is extra for the shirt and I'll pay pal the funds to you.

I regret to say that Audrey broke her ankle today and is not able to travel the 900 miles to Bucks or walk much so I called and cancled our 7th & 8th room reservtions .

Rod send me the shipping charges and what ever is extra for the shirt and I'll pay pal the funds to you.

So sorry to hear about Audrey's ankle... we were SO looking forward to meeting you both. Oh, well... another time, another place.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom