Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Asheville,NC/Charleston,SC Trip April '11

We have a few options for our visit to The Biltmore Estate.
The first option is for us to take a group picture of the cars with the house in the background on Sunday morning. The picture would be taken before the gates open to the public @ 8:30 am, so there won't be any people in the background. We would have to leave our hotel on Sunday morning @ 6:30 am to arrive @ the front gate by 7:30 am. So...what I would like to know is, do you have an interest in doing the picture (it would be a cool picture) & if you think we can get everyone up early enough to leave by 6:30 am. The cost of doing the group picture is $100. After the pictures, we will be allowed to park the cars for the day, backed in against the Rampe Douce (aka the stone wall across the Esplande from the front of the house). I need to let them know ASAP to reserve our picture day.

The other option is, one or two day visit (Sunday & Monday). Once we decide on the number of days we plan on visiting, I can check into a group tour of the house. Check out the website and let me know what you would like to see and do.
http://biltmore.com/groups/visit.asp

I say lets go for the group photo ... Its easy for me to say - I'm a morning person anyway. :chuckle I bet it would be beautiful.

Is the photo shoot - "weather permitting"? I'd love to spend two days visiting - looks like a lot to see. It would be cool to do a group tour of the house.

As Gizmo says - I'm game with whatever the group decides (but I know... if everyone says that - then SOMEONE has to make a decision ... so I just gave my 2 cents worth). Thanks for organizing this, Bruce. Can't wait for the nice weather to come back now. I'm already sick of winter. :ugh:

I say lets go for the group photo ... Its easy for me to say - I'm a morning person anyway. :chuckle I bet it would be beautiful.
Never let it be said that I'm not willing to sacrifice for beauty - I think the morning shot would be gorgeous.

Thanks for organizing this, Bruce.

100% agreement here. Bruce and Kathy are the Event Coordinator Extraordinaries!

Can't wait for the nice weather to come back now. I'm already sick of winter. :ugh:
It just keeps getting worse. I'm with you - bring back summer. I'm suffering from cabin fever and its only been three days. :willy_nilly:

If my math is correct...we have 2 votes for morning group picture & 1 for 2 day visit.:)

Cubby and I are yes for the morning picture. It would be much easier on everyone if we get the picture with out other people around! I wouldn't mind spending two days at Biltmore a lot to see.

At the rate things are going with the weather in the midwest you may have to hire a snow plow to lead the way. I remember Illinois winters, they seem to last forever. Think SPRING.

This thread keeps getting buried with all the links and nonsense, so I brought it back up.

When we went to Biltmore before we had to take pictures and contend with other tourist in the way. It would be much easier to get some nice pictures prior to any other guest getting there. So, what does the rest of the people that plan on going to Biltmore feel about getting pictures early in the morning before they open.

Diane and I will not be able to leave Houston until Saturday morning so that puts us there to join the group sometime Sunday evening.

Steven

We have a few options for our visit to The Biltmore Estate.
The first option is for us to take a group picture of the cars with the house in the background on Sunday morning. The picture would be taken before the gates open to the public @ 8:30 am, so there won't be any people in the background. We would have to leave our hotel on Sunday morning @ 6:30 am to arrive @ the front gate by 7:30 am. So...what I would like to know is, do you have an interest in doing the picture (it would be a cool picture) & if you think we can get everyone up early enough to leave by 6:30 am. The cost of doing the group picture is $100. After the pictures, we will be allowed to park the cars for the day, backed in against the Rampe Douce (aka the stone wall across the Esplande from the front of the house). I need to let them know ASAP to reserve our picture day.

The other option is, one or two day visit (Sunday & Monday). Once we decide on the number of days we plan on visiting, I can check into a group tour of the house. Check out the website and let me know what you would like to see and do.
http://biltmore.com/groups/visit.asp

The thread is getting buried because your not going for 4 months. What are we members to stop everything for an Event 4 months off??? Does that make sense???:pat:

Speedway

Fred....what's the deal?

I would prefer that members give proper notice to upcoming events because it helps people plan in advance to attend them.

And if posting updates or reminders in the thread brings it back up that's a good thing.

I have one suggestion. Since "Tail of the Dragon" is only two hours away from the Biltmore, Bruce, could you look into adding it to our trip. The Deal's Gap Motor Resort (Eastern end of the tail) would be a great place to stop and eat on the way into Asheville.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=...d=208147902180938641449.000497a2e9b63319776ab

Looks to me if we caravan down with Chicago Dave, its 9 hours from Chicago to Knoxville. If he spends the night in Indy, its only 6 hours to Knoxville, then 1 hour to the start of the Tail of the Dragon. I personally wouldn't want to drive it first thing in the morning and I expect most wouldn't want to attempt it after 6-7 hours on the road either, but it would be nice to sneak it in there somewhere.

If not, I'll be breaking away from the group on the return trip to run it on my own.
shiftdrive.gif

It might be best on the return home....however it's not as fun as it used to be; both Carolina and Tenn. lower the speed limit down to 35....too many rice burners cracking up. It is a neat ride though; best on two wheels in my opinion.:)

I have one suggestion. Since "Tail of the Dragon" is only two hours away from the Biltmore, Bruce, could you look into adding it to our trip. The Deal's Gap Motor Resort (Eastern end of the tail) would be a great place to stop and eat on the way into Asheville.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=...d=208147902180938641449.000497a2e9b63319776ab

Looks to me if we caravan down with Chicago Dave, its 9 hours from Chicago to Knoxville. If he spends the night in Indy, its only 6 hours to Knoxville, then 1 hour to the start of the Tail of the Dragon. I personally wouldn't want to drive it first thing in the morning and I expect most wouldn't want to attempt it after 6-7 hours on the road either, but it would be nice to sneak it in there somewhere.

If not, I'll be breaking away from the group on the return trip to run it on my own.
shiftdrive.gif

If you plan on being at the Biltmore Estste and want to do the picture, you need to post so there is a count. Bruce has been in contact with the lady at Biltmore and she needs a decision as soon as possible so we get the spot. They have other groups. Please look at the option that Bruce has posted we also get the option of a private tour at 4:00pm of the house. Once again that would be when there is no other tourist around. For anyone who has never been to the Biltmore Estates it is amazing. Please post what you would like to do.

Jean and I vote yes on the early photo opportunity at the Biltmore.:wave::wave:
Blooms

Diane and I will not be able to leave Houston until Saturday morning so that puts us there to join the group sometime Sunday evening.

Steven

Steven, we're looking forward to meeting you & Diane & having you join us. If we do 2 days @ Biltmore Estate (which it looks like we will), that will give you a day there to check out the house & grounds. I can look into the option of doing our morning group photo on Monday morning instead of Sunday.

If you plan on being at the Biltmore Estste and want to do the picture, you need to post so there is a count.

If "trying to be there" counts toward a vote...Then I say yes; any time I can get my picture taken with this good looking group I'm in......no matter where or when.

Steve

If you plan on being at the Biltmore Estste and want to do the picture, you need to post so there is a count.

If "trying to be there" counts toward a vote...Then I say yes; any time I can get my picture taken with this good looking group I'm in......no matter where or when.

Steve
Well thank you! We can count that as a yes. :)

Steven, we're looking forward to meeting you & Diane & having you join us. If we do 2 days @ Biltmore Estate (which it looks like we will), that will give you a day there to check out the house & grounds. I can look into the option of doing our morning group photo on Monday morning instead of Sunday.
That sounds good to us, we look forward to meeting everyone there as well.

I would like to attend both Biltmore House & Charleston, SC

Hi Bruce,
I am planning on attending the event for April, 2011 and would like to stay at the same hotels, Holiday Inn, Asheville, NC and Hampton Inn near Charleston, SC. Don't know about my wife, Pat, yet. We will be in the middle of doing last minute income taxes, so I will try to talk her into going.
Do I need to tell the hotel that there is a group of XLR's attending when I register at both hotels? Any discounts?
I will be bringing my XLR. It now has over 225,000 miles on it! :party
Professor (Henry) :wave:

Hi Bruce,
I am planning on attending the event for April, 2011 and would like to stay at the same hotels, Holiday Inn, Asheville, NC and Hampton Inn near Charleston, SC. Don't know about my wife, Pat, yet. We will be in the middle of doing last minute income taxes, so I will try to talk her into going.
Do I need to tell the hotel that there is a group of XLR's attending when I register at both hotels? Any discounts?
I will be bringing my XLR. It now has over 225,000 miles on it! :party
Professor (Henry) :wave:

Henry, it will be great to have you and hopefully Pat joining us. There aren't any special discounts @ either of the hotels. I still have a lot of details to get worked out. Do you know what day you will be joining us? Do you like the idea of the early morning group picture @ The Biltmore Estate?

Yes, looking forward to the am picture at Biltmore Estate

Henry, it will be great to have you and hopefully Pat joining us. There aren't any special discounts @ either of the hotels. I still have a lot of details to get worked out. Do you know what day you will be joining us? Do you like the idea of the early morning group picture @ The Biltmore Estate?

I should be able to join you on the first day, a Saturday, April 9th ? [don't have a calendar handy] and I spoke to my wife at dinner tonight and I believe that she will come. As for the Biltmore Estate, yes the early morning group photo will be great. Is that planned for Monday am or Sunday am??
Professor (Henry) :)

I should be able to join you on the first day, a Saturday, April 9th ? [don't have a calendar handy] and I spoke to my wife at dinner tonight and I believe that she will come. As for the Biltmore Estate, yes the early morning group photo will be great. Is that planned for Monday am or Sunday am??
Professor (Henry) :)

Henry, I haven't decided which morning for the picture. It depends on whether we do a one or two day visit.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom