Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Rear swaybar parts list '04-'09

Pete
Is your interior silver also? I didn't know they had made silver interior, My Roxy 05 XLR is the silver also, but interior is Tan / Beige! LOOKS NICE. May venture into a swaybar some time also in the future can you notice a big difference?

THX for sharing Dan :wave:

No - my interior is ebony (black) and I did notice less body roll with the swaybar installed - I like it since it doesn't change the Caddy ride we all love but further improves its stability - way to go!:rocker:

Have fun with your Roxy 05 XLR!

Peter

No - my interior is ebony (black) and I did notice less body roll with the swaybar installed - I like it since it doesn't change the Caddy ride we all love but further improves its stability - way to go!:rocker:

Have fun with your Roxy 05 XLR!

Peter
Ok I took another look at the pictures in your garage it must be the way sun light is shining on the material they almost have a silver look! :lol: I C Make's sense now!
Have great fall
Ride On into the fall!!!
Dan:wave:

Pete
Is your interior silver also? I didn't know they had made silver interior, My Roxy 05 XLR is the silver also, but interior is Tan / Beige! LOOKS NICE. May venture into a swaybar some time also in the future can you notice a big difference?

THX for sharing Dan :wave:

The sway bar was the first addition I did to my base XLR... it definately make the car feel more grounded when cornering quickly (which I like, check that - LOVE, to do).

The sway bar was the first addition I did to my base XLR... it definately make the car feel more grounded when cornering quickly (which I like, check that - LOVE, to do).

The sway bar will be my first addition to my base XLR also.

Here is the updated GM parts list I used:

1x Shaft 15806422
2x Link 20822934
2x Clamp 25933429
2x Insulator 10317560
2x Bolt 11515775
4x Nut 11516078

I ordered it at gmpartsdirect.com onSept 20th - Total cost $174.55 to my door. My Cadillac Dealer quoted me $287.56.

Thanx bunches:worship::love: to all who took time to post their thoughts and experiences on this topic. Most especially to Cadillac Tech for the Part Numbers and Torque Specs.

The sway bar will be my first addition to my base XLR also.

Here is the updated GM parts list I used:

1x Shaft 15806422
2x Link 20822934
2x Clamp 25933429
2x Insulator 10317560
2x Bolt 11515775
4x Nut 11516078

I ordered it at gmpartsdirect.com onSept 20th - Total cost $174.55 to my door. My Cadillac Dealer quoted me $287.56.

Thanx bunches:worship::love: to all who took time to post their thoughts and experiences on this topic. Most especially to Cadillac Tech for the Part Numbers and Torque Specs.

Very simple to do yourself... takes about an hour to complete.

my dealer is quoting $500 for the parts and 1.5hr to install (close to $250) for a total of $750!

Too bad GMpartsdirect doesn't ship to Canada!

my dealer is quoting $500 for the parts and 1.5hr to install (close to $250) for a total of $750!

Don't you know somebody in the US for GMpartsdirect to ship to? With basic tools you should be able to install by yourself and save the $250!

Pete

Firstly, this is a really easy install, if your dealer charges you 1.5 hours then they are going for coffee twice during installation. :chuckle

Not sure how far you are from the US border; we restore old cars and 'improve' new cars and we use a parcel service in Niagara Falls NY, the Niagara Falls border is just over an hour from us so a round trip to them is usually about 3 hours. Anything being shipped out of state is not charged state tax and all you have to pay is your provincial & federal tax (or if you are in Ontario HST combined already for you). If you are too far, perhaps you have a US friend who can receive it for you and you can go for a weekend visit? (then you can bring it in without paying, $750.00 duty free after 48 hours)

Just some suggestions, if you are like me you want it NOW: even though you won't be driving until ths spring!

YIKES!!! I had no idea that a Cadillac dealer in Calgary was part of the "Canadian Economic Recovery Act"!!! :crazy:

I just ordered the sway part, w/ all specified parts, for US$173.87, and I intend to put it on myself. Doesn't look to be very darned hard, just bolts and nuts. The holes are already drilled and tapped. The whole package consists of the shaft, two links, two clamps w/ insulators, two bolts (!) and four nuts. Why a tech couldn't have this installed in 0.3 hours mystifies me, for sure.

Here's an idea: MTRocket lives in Billings. See if you can make arrangements w/ him to receive the parts, and put it on. He's almost straight south of you, as I recall. I think you'll save a bunch of money, even counting whatever you and he agree to. Just a thought.

:dunno:

Tim

thanks for all the suggestions. I just did a quick search and found a number of options for a shipping address in Montana, some of which home the shipments and others re-ship. I think I'll go that way and save $600!

Montana Shipping Outlet... your resource for professional shipping, receiving, packing and business services!

Busaman said:
Here's an idea: MTRocket lives in Billings. See if you can make arrangements w/ him to receive the parts, and put it on. He's almost straight south of you, as I recall. I think you'll save a bunch of money, even counting whatever you and he agree to. Just a thought.

I don't have a problem with doing that at all... you can have the parts shipped to me and I will, in turn, ship them to you. Or I can get them from my dealer here and when I get them, I will ship them to you; my cost on the parts is $215. If you want to PM me your address, I will PM you mine back. I have done this many times for Madmac, who lives west of Edmonton.

I don't have a problem with doing that at all... you can have the parts shipped to me and I will, in turn, ship them to you. Or I can get them from my dealer here and when I get them, I will ship them to you; my cost on the parts is $215. If you want to PM me your address, I will PM you mine back. I have done this many times for Madmac, who lives west of Edmonton.

Yes it has worked well, and again thanks Rod. However I think you failed to mention the " Alberta Premium" premium:lol:

I will look after that for you CV when I head to Billings in June.

Yes it has worked well, and again thanks Rod. However I think you failed to mention the " Alberta Premium" premium:lol:

I will look after that for you CV when I head to Billings in June.

Yes, I did forget to mention the "Alberta Premium" premium. I don't know how I forgot... it is such a HUGE premium and I do appreciate every bottle I have.

Swaybar Installation Details

Hi, All. :wave:

I'm supposed to get the swaybar and parts next week, and I have a few questions directed to those who've installed these before.

1) On my base XLR, there are plates covering the holes where the clamps will go. How do these plates come off?
2) What are the torques for the various nuts/bolts?
3) Do you use "Lock Tite" on the nuts/bolts? If so, what "color"? :confused:

TIA :patriot:

Tim

Stabilizer shaft insulator clamp bolts- 74 lbs ft.

Stabilizer shaft insulator clamp nuts- 70 lbs ft.

Stabilzer shaft link nuts- 56 lbs ft.

Here are your torque specs. You don't need threadlocker, but if you wanted you could use Blue. There are pieces of black tape covering the holes for the brackets.
:wave:

Here are your torque specs. You don't need threadlocker, but if you wanted you could use Blue. There are pieces of black tape covering the holes for the brackets.
:wave:

Thanks, Bruce. I hadn't noticed the torque spec's in any earlier notes, but sure appreciate your passing them on. :worship:

I haven't taken any pic's of the "plates" covering the bracket holes, but they're metal on mine -- not tape. I'll try to get a coupla shots of them and see if I can figure out how to upload pic's, like you guys do routinely. :pat:

Should there be any kind of lube on the "Insulator"?

Tim

Thanks, Bruce. I hadn't noticed the torque spec's in any earlier notes, but sure appreciate your passing them on. :worship:

I haven't taken any pic's of the "plates" covering the bracket holes, but they're metal on mine -- not tape. I'll try to get a coupla shots of them and see if I can figure out how to upload pic's, like you guys do routinely. :pat:

Should there be any kind of lube on the "Insulator"?

Tim

The torque specs will also be on the instructions that come with the bar. Interesting, having metal covering the holes; probably fairly thin than you can simply "punch" through with the bolt (mine was black tape); won't hurt anything if the metal stays in place, it's all covered by the clamp and insulator. As far as lube on the insulator, no, they should be already lubed and ready to go (at least mine were).

Red Faced...

The torque specs will also be on the instructions that come with the bar. Interesting, having metal covering the holes; probably fairly thin than you can simply "punch" through with the bolt (mine was black tape); won't hurt anything if the metal stays in place, it's all covered by the clamp and insulator. As far as lube on the insulator, no, they should be already lubed and ready to go (at least mine were).

Boy, am I embarrassed. :banghead: Imagine my surprise, when I got back under the car to take the pic's to show the "metal plates" covering the holes for the clamps, only to find out that they were actually covered with a heavy tape, and not metal. Just like you said, Bruce and Rod. That old Saturday Night Live stint came to mind: where Gilda Radnor said, "Never mind". I owe somebody a beer. :beerchug:

Maybe next summer in Billings...

Thanks for my "brain cramp", but (in my meager defense) they LOOKED like metal. :spin:

Tim

Swaybar Installation Instructions

The torque specs will also be on the instructions that come with the bar. <snip>

Rod, I got all the parts, but there were no instructions. I've gone through the packing material twice, and it's not there. I can "fly solo" on this, probably, but if you have your instructions handy, could you post them? Anyone who can lay their hands on these instructions is welcome to do the same, and then you get to use this little "freebee" with a clear conscience:

FYI, GMPartsDirect.com has a promo code that's good until 1/30/13. Put 'S83112' (minus the quote signs) in the part number field of an order, and you get a free gift. I have no idea of what it'll be, but it's "free". :chuckle

TIA

Tim

Rod, I got all the parts, but there were no instructions. I've gone through the packing material twice, and it's not there. I can "fly solo" on this, probably, but if you have your instructions handy, could you post them? Anyone who can lay their hands on these instructions is welcome to do the same, and then you get to use this little "freebee" with a clear conscience:

FYI, GMPartsDirect.com has a promo code that's good until 1/30/13. Put 'S83112' (minus the quote signs) in the part number field of an order, and you get a free gift. I have no idea of what it'll be, but it's "free". :chuckle

TIA

Tim

I'll check tomorrow and see if I still have them; under the weather today with a cold/bug. If I can't find them, I'll check my service manual, and go that route.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom