Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

San Antonio, Texas "Blue Bunny" Rally May 20--May 23, 2009

Professor .... has the block of rooms been expanded? I read where some have tried to book under the group rate and told that the block has been sold out. I think that is part of the problem too.

Another $150 for 3 nights wouldn't be bad .... and I am glad you are working on the parking thing ....

Gosh, it is great to see pictures of you and Kent! :wave::wave:

I am glad that you posted ..... 'know that you are a busy guy, but I was just wondering how all of the planning was going.

Is there going to be lunch or dinner in that room - or just a ceremony???

Your thoughts????
Considering the fact that Henry made a trip to SA to arrange rooms and parking for us at a reduced rate, where we can all be together and be safe at night, which to me is important and have a special room for the business of making more of us Blue Bunnies, a group has decided to stay someplace else, I don't think I would go out on a limb and arrange any lunches or dinners for a group of people that may decide to eat someplace else and then be stuck with a bill for those that eat there. If you arrange for fifty dinners you have to pay for fifty dinners. That is the way it is with big chain hotels. It would be very nice to have lunch and dinners together but who wants to shoulder the responsibility and or be stuck with the bill? We all owe a lot of thanks and appreciation to Henry, he has devoted a lot of time and his own expense to put this together for all of us. My hat goes off to you Henry and MANY THANKS from First Robin:patriot:

Ummm, sorry, maybe I was unclear. :pat: I'll try again. I was not suggesting that Henry bear the cost of a meal .... I was merely trying to find out what our schedule of events would entail .... we had many scheduled events at BG - The Kentucky Backroads Drive (whew, zooom!) lunch at the park.... the dinner at WahBahs .... etc .... those were just scheduled, not hosted events. I don't think anyone expects the Professor to do more than he already has .... again, I apologize to him, you and anyone else that thought I meant anything other than that.

It was not intended to ruffle any feathers about a few of us staying at another hotel. Speaking for myself, I intend on attending anything that is planned. Thank you Henry and Kent for your work, please do not be upset or offended if a few of us decide to stay close by.

Ummm, sorry, maybe I was unclear. :pat: I'll try again. I was not suggesting that Henry bear the cost of a meal .... I was merely trying to find out what our schedule of events would entail .... we had many scheduled events at BG - The Kentucky Backroads Drive (whew, zooom!) lunch at the park.... the dinner at WahBahs .... etc .... those were just scheduled, not hosted events. I don't think anyone expects the Professor to do more than he already has .... again, I apologize to him, you and anyone else that thought I meant anything other than that.

From my experience as Treasurer of the Colorado Cosmetologist Assn., if we planned to have a meal in a meeting room we had to guarantee so many meals would be served, then we had to sell tickets which was a lot of work. If we did not sell enough tickets for the meals we ordered then we had to pay for them anyway as the motel had bought enough food to serve the number we reserved. The purchasing agent for the resturants buy ahead of time to meet the demand for the banquets and so forth. (my daughter was purchasing agent for the Marriott hotels resturants) Possibly the Hilton would consider letting us order from the daily menu and make the meeting room our own private dining room if enough of us actually stay at the Hilton. I am sure judging from the fun we have on this Forum we might be a little too noisy and happy to eat in their regular resturants. Just a thought. First Robin:patriot:

Two things - one: Again, I was only trying to figure out the schedule. Two: This group has never always stayed at the same place - that has never been an issue ... We don't sleep together anyway :squint: .... We just need a place to :partyand :grouphug: and :beerchug: - and we always seem to find a place to do that!

So .... maybe I'll just wait to see what the Professor has put together ..... :worship:

Two things - one: Again, I was only trying to figure out the schedule. Two: This group has never always stayed at the same place - that has never been an issue ... We don't sleep together anyway :squint: .... We just need a place to :partyand :grouphug: and :beerchug: - and we always seem to find a place to do that!

So .... maybe I'll just wait to see what the Professor has put together ..... :worship:

Well said Madam. :worship::worship:

It was not intended to ruffle any feathers about a few of us staying at another hotel. Speaking for myself, I intend on attending anything that is planned. Thank you Henry and Kent for your work, please do not be upset or offended if a few of us decide to stay close by.

I am just looking at it from the viewpoint that Henry committed to the hotel and they in turn committed to Henry that at least 22 cars were signed up to attend this event, some with one and some with two persons per car, I don't know how many rooms were blocked off. When the rooms are blocked off then Henry was able to arrange for a meeting room, I don't know if they are charging for the meeting room or not. In the beginning everyone was saying they wanted to stay at a hotel on the riverwalk. Kent told about most of the riverwalk hotels already being sold out so I think we are lucky we are able to stay at the Hilton. I could stay with a cousin and drive back and forth but I prefer to stay where the event is being held. Everyone has the right to stay someplace else but I feel if one person goes to all the trouble to make arrangements for us and to get a commitment from a large hotel we should stand behind this person and live up to what he promised the hotel in order to get the best rates and a room for our events. Just my two cents worth, and I don't mean to ruffle any feathers either. First Robin:patriot:

By the time May comes ..... there will probably be more than 22 cars .... wait until after the holidays and you will see that people start focusing more on getting out after a long winter ... the excitement always builds right before the event .... ! And there are lots of people who cannot make long term plans because of work, or leave or other obligations .... but, somehow, we always manage to get together ....:grouphug:

At this time, I am not changing my plans. I like the quality of a 4 stars Hilton hotels and being in the middle of this beautiful area is something that justifies spending a little more. If we get a deal on the parking, that will make the event sweeter.

SilverX

.....I have more pictures to post tomorrow from the Riverwalk. I do want to make a comment to the group. This is only my opinion but the Hilton Inn is a 4 star hotel. When you come in person you will see why. The hotel is right on the River literally!
.....I am talking to the sales person. Right now the self parking is $16 per day. I told Joseph Latu that some were complaining about the parking fees and wanted to go to another hotel just outside of the Riverwalk. He said that he will try to come up with something for us.
.....Again this is my opinion, but if I am at one of the many lounges and I want to go to bed, all I have to do is get on the elevator to my room. If I am staying at another hotel, I would have to walk up the stairs to Alamo Drive or Main Street or whatever and walk in the middle of downtown San Antonio to my hotel.
.....I personally do not want to walk in the center of downtown of any large city in the middle of the night! San Antonio is a very very large city. Wait till you see the other pictures later. So maybe I am spending an extra $50 a night but all the action is at my front window or balcony. I have been here before. The Riverwalk is where all the action is, and the Riverwalk is very Safe to stroll around even at night. Just my opinion.
Henry:)

At this time, I am not changing my plans. I like the quality of a 4 stars Hilton hotels and being in the middle of this beautiful area is something that justifies spending a little more. If we get a deal on the parking, that will make the event sweeter.

SilverX

I agree 100 %, very well put. First Robin:patriot:

Time for some additional photos.

SanAntonio013.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a Historic Arts Village. As you can see there are many shops. It is located adjacent to the Riverwalk Hilton Inn. This is a main street in downtown San Antonio. (Don't remember the name of the street) The Riverwalk is actually one complete flight (one story) down the stairs leading to the Riverwalk. The Riverwalk is self contained below street level. If you are driving in downtown on the local streets you cannot see the Riverwalk. It is actually "underground", the equivalent to the basement of these River front hotels. It is actually quite fascinating to discover the Riverwalk below. You'll love this "paradise".

SanAntonio014.jpg
[/IMG]

professor:)

More from the historic arts village.

SanAntonio015.jpg
[/IMG]

Almost looks like a postcard.

SanAntonio016.jpg
[/IMG]

Notice the tall buildings in the background. We are in downtown San Antonio.

SanAntonio017.jpg
[/IMG]

It is a cute village. More to come.

professor

Historic arts village (continued)

SanAntonio018.jpg
[/IMG]

Many shops in this historic arts village.

SanAntonio019.jpg
[/IMG]

This could be fun shopping here. (Again just adjacent to the hotel)

SanAntonio020.jpg
[/IMG]

professor:)

Hemisphere Park and the Tower of the Americas. Really cool!!

SanAntonio021.jpg
[/IMG]

Hemisphere Park. The Tower of the Americas can just barely be seen to the extreme left. There is a revolving restaurant on top. Really cool. 4/10 of a mile from the hotel.

tower5.jpg
[/IMG]
Beautiful photo of the Tower at night.

DowntownSanAntonio.jpg
[/IMG]

View from the top of the Tower. Like I said before, San Antonio, it is a big city! I did not take the last two pictures. Got them on line.

professor

Back down on the Riverwalk.

SanAntonio022.jpg
[/IMG]

Another bar at the Riverwalk Hilton Inn. Kent likes this one in particular.

I'll tease you with more final pictures taken exclusively of the Riverwalk tomorrow.

Henry:party

Talk more tomorrow!

.....I have more pictures to post tomorrow from the Riverwalk. I do want to make a comment to the group. This is only my opinion but the Hilton Inn is a 4 star hotel. When you come in person you will see why. The hotel is right on the River literally!
.....I am talking to the sales person. Right now the self parking is $16 per day. I told Joseph Latu that some were complaining about the parking fees and wanted to go to another hotel just outside of the Riverwalk. He said that he will try to come up with something for us.
.....Again this is my opinion, but if I am at one of the many lounges and I want to go to bed, all I have to do is get on the elevator to my room. If I am staying at another hotel, I would have to walk up the stairs to Alamo Drive or Main Street or whatever and walk in the middle of downtown San Antonio to my hotel.
.....I personally do not want to walk in the center of downtown of any large city in the middle of the night! San Antonio is a very very large city. Wait till you see the other pictures later. So maybe I am spending an extra $50 a night but all the action is at my front window or balcony. I have been here before. The Riverwalk is where all the action is, and the Riverwalk is very Safe to stroll around even at night. Just my opinion.
Henry:)

.....I seemed to provoke some discussion yesterday with my comments above. I want you all to understand that parking is limited near the River. You would still have to do some walking. I did park one time at night near the River and was not comfortable walking back to the car. I did not have an XLR at the time. So I might be more nervous with our car.
.....I still feel that it would be better to park the car at any Riverside hotel even if not the Hilton and enjoy the Riverwalk without having to roam any street above at night. Remember the River is considerably BELOW the street level. I want everyone to be safe. Look forward to our upcoming party.
Henry (professor)
P.S. Ruth Ann, would you like to help me with the upcoming Blue Bunny event? What would you like to see at our meeting room? You can PM me if you like.

Henry, Thanks for the wonderful pictures. It looks like San Antonio will be a beautiful city to visit. The main reason any of us are looking at other hotels is cost. We would love to be able to stay at the Hilton. I know we have other events that we would like to attend in '09 so we have to stretch the funds we have as far as possible. The way things have gone lately some of us are concerned that we will even be employed in the coming months. We are looking into all options and should make a decision soon. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Bruce :)

Hmmm - Galen ..... looks like you had so much fun that time that you should go again ... Hope you and Leinda will come! :wave:

List of Attendees

Henry or RA,

Is someone keeping an up-to-date list of everyone who has committed to San Antonio in Mat '09. I know the list was "brought" over from the other site, just wondering if it has changed at all.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom