Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: brake fliuid

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Question brake fliuid

The Cadillac dealer said my brake fluid was turning yellow, and needed to be changed. I worked as a mechanic for about 10 years, and the only reason to do that was because at the time, brake fluid was glycerine and alchohol, which absorbed water, making it neccessary to flush the system, and replenish it. Now they use DOT 5?, and whatever # it is, it is silicone. Does silicone turn yellow with age? Does it need to be changed when it does? What DOT number should be used??

Do I have to, or should I use, Mobil 5/30 in my 2005 XLR? There are a few other very good motor oils out there, one I can think of is valvoline. Castrol, and Pennzoil are also very good. I just purchased the car with 26,800 miles on it. If I wereto use Mobil which one? Sythentic?? or just regular old oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Smile Brake fluid and motor oil

When my XLR was 10 years old, my technician, at the Cadillac dealer where my car was sold when new, recommended a change and flush of brake fluid. He has never steered me wrong and I had it done. By the way, he is a certified XLR technician.

XLRs came equipped from the factory with Mobil One 5W30 Synthetic. Every oil change for my XLR (usually done annually) has been with this oil. I also have a Mobil One Oil Filter installed at each change.

I don't see any reason to use anything else.

You KNOW what it is!

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Pearl View Post
    When my XLR was 10 years old, my technician, at the Cadillac dealer where my car was sold when new, recommended a change and flush of brake fluid. He has never steered me wrong and I had it done. By the way, he is a certified XLR technician.

XLRs came equipped from the factory with Mobil One 5W30 Synthetic. Every oil change for my XLR (usually done annually) has been with this oil. I also have a Mobil One Oil Filter installed at each change.

I don't see any reason to use anything else.
    I do hope your brake fluid was not 10 years old. It should be replaced (fully flushed) every two - three years. As the XLR is a performance car, every two years is indicated.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by xlrlist01 View Post
    I do hope your brake fluid was not 10 years old. It should be replaced (fully flushed) every two - three years. As the XLR is a performance car, every two years is indicated.

I don't know how old it is, as I just got the car; but I'm going to "flush it like a toilet!"