Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Talking oops

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytee View Post
    haha jump on me for my spelling. oops, it looked like I spelled oops wrong

urban dictionary
    Other definitions of OPPS:

• Misspelling of 'oops'
    I get it , Oops means I slipped up or made a boo boo, or erred in any mans language, southern, northern, midwestern or Californian. Is that spring tough to install on the new hinge?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Default spring

I thought they came with a spring. they used to in the old days. If not ,what I used to do is pop it out with a screwdriver and a rag over it so it does not fly. Then you can put it in a vise close it up, and tie a coat hanger around it to hold it closed I used two, on opposite sides. then after you put it in just cut the hanger . Or you can send me your address and I will send you the tool to properly do it. It will just cost you 3$ to mail it back. They are about 12 at advance auto parts but its something that you may never use but once.
    Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 (red) with wire grrile

Getting back to the question regarding the wire mesh grill, apparently, one could purchase these as "aftermarket" and put them on NON XLR-V models. Mine is a 2007, and it has the wire grille... the company's logo is on the grill, and I think one can purchase this "custom" grill as a retail item enen now. I suppose to the "untrained" eye, my car looks like a V model... but it lacks the special hood (as well as the engine and other associated V components) to make it an authentic V model. James

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Question Door Hinge

Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    The "V" model has the mesh grille.
    The lower driver's side hinge was dropping when we bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. Several weeks ago, instead of replacing bushings, I replaced the lower hinge. Took it to a body shop and had them realign the door. Cost was 72$. Works like a champ. Bushings can be replaced, I chose this way to fix it

How difficult is it to remove the spring from the old hinge and install it on the new one? Any instructions, and or tips, would be sincerely appreciated!

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Wink Door Hinge Spring

I thought they came with a spring. they used to in the old days. If not ,what I used to do is pop it out with a screwdriver and a rag over it so it does not fly. Then you can put it in a vise close it up, and tie a coat hanger around it to hold it closed I used two, on opposite sides. then after you put it in just cut the hanger . Or you can send me your address and I will send you the tool to properly do it. It will just cost you 3$ to mail it back. They are about 12 at advance auto parts but its something that you may never use but once.
    Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Thank you so much mickeytee! I'll let you know if I will need the tool. and add that that is so nice of you to offer it's use to someone you don't even know, except on the forum! What a great guy you are!!!! Thank you, thank you!!1

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Question Hinge door position spring

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lee View Post
    Yeah Mickeytee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mickeytee-

Mickeytee- "Should I put the spring on the new hinge before I install the hinge , or after the hinge is installed?" "I would think before I install the hinge, but will that put any tension on the two mounting parts of the hinge making it a little difficult to install it between the door and the car's body??" "I may need to use that "spring tool" you offered." "If that becomes the case, How will I send you my address so you can mail it to me?"

2006 Grill and Driver's Door Hinge rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Mickeytee-
    Mickeytee- "Should I put the spring on the new hinge before I install the hinge , or after the hinge is installed?" "I would think before I install the hinge, but will that put any tension on the two mounting parts of the hinge making it a little difficult to install it between the door and the car's body??" "I may need to use that "spring tool" you offered." "If that becomes the case, How will I send you my address so you can mail it to me?"
    My replacement hinge did not have the spring. I took the old one off and put it on the new hinge. Before installing it. Watch out, it's likely it will fly off and pop you in the head or some other tender place. Safety glasses are a must.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Mickeytee-

I would install the spring off the car if possible unless you get the wrench. The door will need to be all the way open and the hinge open . It will fit no problem. Just make sure that you mark the old hinge location. I think the door part has no adjustment but maybe a little on the body side. I would install the hinge on the body with it pulled all the way to the rear of the car. on the door part make sure the adjustment o n the door is pulled inward before tightening. Then ease the door shut looking at the outside. The door may be a little too high which you can adjust down easily. I like to start with the door up at the rear and too far in as that way it will not touch the paint. If you want the tool just send me a pm and I will mail it to you

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Unhappy Installing New Door Hinge

I would install the spring off the car if possible unless you get the wrench. The door will need to be all the way open and the hinge open . It will fit no problem. Just make sure that you mark the old hinge location. I think the door part has no adjustment but maybe a little on the body side. I would install the hinge on the body with it pulled all the way to the rear of the car. on the door part make sure the adjustment o n the door is pulled inward before tightening. Then ease the door shut looking at the outside. The door may be a little too high which you can adjust down easily. I like to start with the door up at the rear and too far in as that way it will not touch the paint. If you want the tool just send me a pm and I will mail it to you

"on the door part make sure the ADJUSTMENT ON THE DOOR is pulled INWARD before tightening." By "INWARD" what exactly do you mean? Adjusting the door down, if it is too high, would be done by moving the lower hinge forward, where it mounts on the body, right?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

"on the door part make sure the ADJUSTMENT ON THE DOOR is pulled INWARD before tightening." By "INWARD" what exactly do you mean? Adjusting the door down, if it is too high, would be done by moving the lower hinge forward, where it mounts on the body, right?
    Yes on the body adjustment. I want to start too high as its easy to lower. just loosen the bolts barely and tap lightly on the hinge. the weight of the door will cause it to drop. make a mark on a piece of tape as a little goes a long way. the hinge to door bolt should be a sleeved bolt that self centers and I don't think will allow for any adjustment. if it does allow any just pull the bottom of the door to you as you tighten the bolt You want to make sure if anything the door is too tight. too loose and it will hit the fender. You can check the door level with the fender even if the door is too high at the rear.drooping it down will not change the outside fender level.