Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Center Console Repairs

When I purchased my 2007 XLR last summer, the metal trim around the center console showed some minor wear and tear (see pic). The only other XLR Iíve seen had similar blemishes, so I presume that itís a common problem.

I want to avoid buying an entirely new console assembly, and Iím curious about my options for repair. I know thereís an aftermarket overlay available, but Iíd like to keep the look original.

If the car was a seven-figure vintage Ferrari (and I love my XLR like it is), how would I go about restoring the console? Ok, thereís an easy answer: if I had a seven-figure Ferrari, Iíd fork over the $900 for a new console. But you get my drift. Are there people with jewelry-making skills that might take on this kind of project? Who could I send it to for a show car worthy repair?

Iíll appreciate tips from the XLR faithful here on the forum. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Center Console Repairs rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

That metal is a goner. The metal is cemented and crimped on the plastic cover. Even with a judicious use of a heat gun to loosen the cement, trying to straighten out the crimped area is almost a non starter. I'm not aware of anyone that repairs this.
    The folding cover hinges were broken on my XLR, after about a year searching on ebay I found a replacement assembly for about 125$.