Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of my XLR?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Car is getting picked up by AAA tomorrow and being taken to a local shop. I trust the guy and he'll be able to tell me if it's repairable.
    The repair invoice total was 11,000$. I knew I had about 1500-1700 in it that I was responsible for. That's what we settled for. There's a new service manager there and a couple new service writers that weren't there last month. Service manager told me they had abut 8 other vehicles that they couldn't fix/didn't fix and they would probably wind up charging those off as well.
    Time will tell.

2. Likes IAN liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by rocket83402 View Post
    Ok I am officially scared of having my XLR. I love driving it and it looks so good going down the road, and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems. Waiting for the snow to go away before its driven again, but I am having second thoughts after hearing the problems with some of the cars. I am not the best mechanic, and don't have a really trusted shop to get work done. Guess its a crap shoot...Hope you get satisfaction Rexter from the shop. Sounds like a ripoff....
    rocket, Don't be afraid to drive your car. I have had my 06 for about 7 years and no problems. I will start to sweat if and when something goes wrong. I do worry about the headlights but I think that issue will get resolved in due time. I am not the least bit mechanical and that is a potential problem but I think I can find people to help me.
    John F.

4. Likes long Tall Sally, IAN, rnrt99 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 #67

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    ...The repair invoice total was 11,000$. I knew I had about 1500-1700 in it that I was responsible for. That's what we settled for....
    Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    ...There's a new service manager there and a couple new service writers that weren't there last month. Service manager told me they had abut 8 other vehicles that they couldn't fix/didn't fix and they would probably wind up charging those off as well...

Hi Rex,
    Respectfully... that's insane. If I may, how in the world do you figure you owe them a penny? Best as I understand you drove the car to the shop and had to have it towed out a year later? To me that says simply 'you owe me a car'.

I have to reiterate... keep notes, get names (past and present). Go see a good lawyer.

My 2 cents.

Gord

6. Likes beaver_jd, IAN, long Tall Sally liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Car was delivered to my local shop this afternoon. Tow truck driver actually started it up and drove it from the truck to the parking spot. Tried to open the trunk, and it's all messed up, it's happened before and a top relearn solved it, so not worried about that right now. I'm hopeful that with a little time and patience, my guy will track down what's wrong and get it straight. Body was in good shape, paint will need to be polished out but no deep gouges or scratches observed.
    Fingers crossed.

8. Likes IAN, rnrt99 liked this post
    Home: Mountsberg, Ontario Canada winters in Port Charlotte Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XLR Crystal Red Metalic

I am respectfully asking all XLR owners who read this to please chime in if you have the same wonderful experience as I personally do with my XLR. Nobody ever sits on this forum to report how flawless their car is - they only post when they have problems. Rocket 83402 Please do not despair, XLR's are great cars. So Carefree XLR Owners, Please speak up on this matter!
    My car is virtually flawless and always has been. The only troubles I have had have been battery related. I am on my 3rd batter since purchasing it in 2011 (mine is an 09) and I do keep my car on a battery tender when not in use. My car had to stay in Florida over the summer (4 year old battery on a tender) and when I got back here in November the battery was toast as it was on my HD Road King and on our 65 Malibu which has a FI engine from a 89 GTA Trans Am under the hood which is another battery hog. (damn Florida summers: no good for uncycled batteries) Anyway my XLR was giving me all sorts of trouble until we tested the battery at an auto parts place - it was so bad it came up on their tester as 'Replace'. Got a new battery & renewed zest for life - problems once again.

Rexter - sorry you are not having the same experience as I am, good luck with your current issue!
    Sandy
    You can't be a car collector with only one car!
    Get out & drive 'em.... 'cause if you don't - the next owner will !
    My XLR: A fast Red one w Corsa Exhaust & V sway bar

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 #67

Lightbulb

Hi Sandy, gang,

It's a marvelous car which to this point, has done me no wrong. I bought it for amusement and it is most certainly amusing. Love the looks, love the handling and in this part of the world, there's more than enough poop than any reasonable person could ever want or use without going to a race track.

"Number 67" is 'cute' in a way as well: being one of the earliest ever built, poking around I've found hand-made bits and pieces that were absolutely there from the factory - bracketry mostly, installed as GM learned what worked and what didn't. (I've compared with later versions in pictures for those curious how I know).

Probably one of the most amusing things about it to me is that it is very rare here and is indeed often mistaken for something new. It's really fun to say just how 'not new' it is, and explain just what it is capable of in all regards. A tip of the hat to all its previous owners for tending to it so well.

While I do swing hammers and walk quite carefully around the headlights and other overpriced bits, I'm not going to lose sleep or refrain from using the car because of them - not for a second. If anything happens, then and only then would I ponder the next move.

Life is way too short, so do get out and enjoy 'em - that's what it's allllll about.

11. Likes graytoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Except for a p-o-crap OEM CD unit our '05 was a flawless machine through 38K miles.

No other issues of any kind

13. Likes IAN, long Tall Sally liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iíve been wanting an XLR since I first saw it at Auto Show in Dallas. Couldnít afford at that time or price. But after reading about so many service related problems and parts shortages in the forum Iím very hesitant to get one. Driving a Lexus SC 430 right now and love it but would seriously like the XLR and would like to hear from some long time XLRís. Iím not a mechanic and canít do my own way. Advise please.
    Thanks to all that do.

15. Likes IAN liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Red XLR / 2007 XLR-V

John, I stumbled onto to one about 7 years ago. I bought it because it was really sharpened there were not many around. I like different "stuff". If I had of known of all the potential problems and lack of parts I probably would have passed. I have zero mechanical ability but the Cadillac dealer in Palm Springs sold a lot of these cars and they have a great service dept. To my surprise I have had very little problems. It has been great so far. I have enjoyed the car so much I bought a second one for home. It's a "V". The Caddy dealers where I live really don't know this car so it's a bit of a crap shop. So far so good. They are great cars and I really enjoy driving them.
    John F.

17. Likes IAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. Is there anyway for me to reach out to local XLR owners to see if we have qualified mechanics (dealer or otherwise) locally that are able to successfully diagnose and repair them? Sure would like to have one.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

We have an ‘06 base with 45k miles and an ‘07 V with 22k mikes. Only major repair was fixing oil leaks in both, done because covered by warranty. Otherwise they weren’t so bad that we couldn’t have just ignored them.

Both cars are awesome and, knock on wood, haven’t given us problems. We were blissfully ignorant about any problems when we got the first one 10 years ago (the base), and probably wouldn’t have bought it had we read this forum. What a mistake that would have been! We would have missed so many great drives, forum trips, and meeting other owners to travel with.

No car is perfect and you can find horror stories on all of them if you look. Particularly if they’re technology laden and 10-15 years old. And there are parts issues for 6 year old SRX’s too ...

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Quote Originally Posted by John Wade View Post
    Iíve been wanting an XLR since I first saw it at Auto Show in Dallas. Couldnít afford at that time or price. But after reading about so many service related problems and parts shortages in the forum Iím very hesitant to get one. Driving a Lexus SC 430 right now and love it but would seriously like the XLR and would like to hear from some long time XLRís. Iím not a mechanic and canít do my own way. Advise please.
    Thanks to all that do.
    Hi John.

Make your dream comes true, The XLR is some way one of a kind Cadillac no body ignore the style of it, with the top up or down.

In term of power it is a great car for its small V8 ( 0/60 in 4.9 seconds, not bad ), handling is fine ( commun, leaking S/A ) however the exhaust sound, is just superb.

The problem I had with this car is the Battery that it had to be replaced about every 2 years, the roof hydraulic piping leaks, the engine module, the S/A, the alternator, the sound system and the brakes changed, all that in 50,000K.

Thrusted Corvette repair shops and Cadillac dealers is the solution for this car
    YES this car make you some time wondering the purchase ( 9 years ago ) of it, however owning it and driving it makes you forget all the problem$, is the XLR alone of having some defect problems, I dont think so, the Corvette has his own problems the Mercedes, the BMW and also the hi line Asian sports cars.

The reality, if you having a like for it, that is your chance presently, as their value are on a trend down cycle, and buying a low mileage XLR would be your dream comes true.

Good luck in your decision.

IAN

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Hi John

Re your email, a quick look on your local city internet GOOGLE, make a search for the corvette repairs shops, Cadillac dealers and Chevrolet dealers.

You will please to see how many places that are available for the XLR repairs, the name of the game is to find one of your choice and its location near your residence.

Up on a call to your favorite ones ask for their know how in the repairing and experience in of the XLR.

The GM/Cadillac dealers usely gets their employees in the GM training programs and have the tools the parts, it is a professional way to be effective, however it is not always the case of some dealers.

Of course the labor rate is higher then a repair shop.

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Is part of the reason the only car I have that sees a dealer is the Grand Cherokee and that is because it has a lifetime (2099 or 999,999 miles) Chrysler service plan (no longer available) but then am equipped to handle anything at home.

That said whenever I hear about a computer car having multiple issues, the first thing I look for is a bad ground (usually under the carpet though if you get the console on an SLK wet, it won't shift.) My CTS is very sensitive to battery condition but usually results in a high charging voltage (over 15v). Any more I buy only AGMs

Two things it is good to have for a Caddy thiis century are an Autel DiagLink with the GM module (under a benjamin on Amazon but does module by module testing) and a battery condition meter (BT-360 on ebay). Both essential for today's cars

All you need is a resident nerd but they tend to work in AC.

BTW am still looking for a first XLR (usually buy an inexpensive one first to find out what I really want but tend to keep cars waaay past the sell-by date.)

ps have an 88 Reatta with 10 "computer" modules and a touchscream in the dash. Built in scan tool & reprogrammed to run cool. Bought in '01 and would take anywhere, '01 SLK320 same-same. Like retractables.
    Last edited by Padgett; Today at 06:39 AM.