Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

Default Trunk doesn't open.

When I press the trunk button sometimes it will not open. It seems like it trying to open but doesn't open?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Xenon Blue

It has been my experience a less than fully charged battery will effect the power trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

That's for the reply. I did check the battery, it was fully charged. I started to check all the fuses related to the trunk and the retractable top. I decided to take it to the dealer and have them check it. OUCH. $ 300.00 later they found a broken wire going to the top in the wiring harness. Well it was an expensive lesson but if it ever happens again I know that is one more thing to check. Apparently after putting the top up and down so many times over 15 years the wire broke inside the jacket of the wire. It wasn't visible. They had to use the Tech ll scanner. Hope this helps anyone else that has this problem. Thanks again.

4. Likes pure zen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

$300 for fifteen years of use isn't too shabby! My 3-series has the folding hard top up and down at least 600 times a year (down in the morning, up in the evening). No reliability issues so far, even after getting a t-shirt trapped in the mechanism and breaking some costly trim pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XLR Platinum, Black on Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxdad2 View Post
    When I press the trunk button sometimes it will not open. It seems like it trying to open but doesn't open?
    Hi Redsox - did you solve this problem? Let me know - I have a possible solution or two, but want to check your status first.

Hope all is well!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

Quote Originally Posted by Jayharrington View Post
    Hi Redsox - did you solve this problem? Let me know - I have a possible solution or two, but want to check your status first.

Hope all is well!

Jay
    He advised this in post #3 above

8. Likes Jayharrington liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XLR Platinum, Black on Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by rexster314 View Post
    He advised this in post #3 above
    Ha - stupid me! Thanks Rexster - appreciate the point out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black XLR-V

Default Trunk doesn't open.

So my trunk lid started a while back, opening about 4 inches then slamming shut again. Than it would open. Got worse, it would take 6 or 7 tries before it would open.
    I replaced the trunk latch the other day (available from GM for about $350 or rockauto)
    And it fixed the issue.
    Not too hard to do, remove plastic trim. Two top plugs are covers and 7mm screws under them, 4 front plugs are just plastic push pins.
    3 nuts on latch, 1 electric connector and manual unlock cable. About 10 min after you have done it once.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireduck69 View Post
    So my trunk lid started a while back, opening about 4 inches then slamming shut again. Than it would open. Got worse, it would take 6 or 7 tries before it would open.
    I replaced the trunk latch the other day (available from GM for about $350 or rockauto)
    And it fixed the issue.
    Not too hard to do, remove plastic trim. Two top plugs are covers and 7mm screws under them, 4 front plugs are just plastic push pins.
    3 nuts on latch, 1 electric connector and manual unlock cable. About 10 min after you have done it once.
    Thanks for that info as that isn’t at all what I would have expected to cause that problem.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish