Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roof dents

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Nope. I have the pads on the shaved off bolts but I need to warn people this is just a temporary fix. I found that after serveral months with the pads even they will start to damage the paint. It's cold now so I will not be driving the XLR much if any so I will probably not get it into the shop anytime soon. Also my wife is having a lot of health issues and the bills are crazy exspensive so the XLR is not a priority.
    I also want to replace the BIlly Boat exhaust the previous owner put on with stock muffler. The Billy Boat is just too loud for me.

2. Likes IAN, XFireXLR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Thunder Gray

Question

Quote Originally Posted by hmarksanford View Post
    Nope. I have the pads on the shaved off bolts but I need to warn people this is just a temporary fix. I found that after serveral months with the pads even they will start to damage the paint. It's cold now so I will not be driving the XLR much if any so I will probably not get it into the shop anytime soon. Also my wife is having a lot of health issues and the bills are crazy exspensive so the XLR is not a priority.
    I also want to replace the BIlly Boat exhaust the previous owner put on with stock muffler. The Billy Boat is just too loud for me.
    What will it do to the paint? Dents or scratches?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior

Hey

So is this a common problem? Is there something that goes out of adjustment? Does the trunk lid settle? Is there linkage wear? Not understanding how, if you dremmel off the end of the bolt, the damage then could continue to occur even after putting in a felt pad. Sounds like things getting worn or out of adjustment.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill S.; 11-25-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

This happen to my XLR also a few years back, and the bolts can leave a dent or leave a hole in the paint about the size of a pencil eraser. You can either shave the bolts down or cover them with some silicone, I did the latter.
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Hey

OK, but still not understanding how it can happen. Something must be wearing or going out of adjustment, OR people are sitting on the back when the roof is folded up.

Bill

7. Likes IAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Gold Mist Met. XLR

This has happened to many cars, there was a thread a few years back about it. I can only think/assume that maybe hitting bumps/potholes or something of that nature can cause it to happen. If memory serves no one could come up with a definitive answer as to why and Cadillac was suppose to have made a new bracket to quell the issue, but they were on perpetual backorder.
    2006 Cadillac XLR
    Gold Mist Met/Shale #637
    Corvette Z06 Chrome Wheels
    Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Painted Brake Calipers
    Goodridge SS Brake Lines
    Volant CAI
    Corsa Exhaust
    Painted Engine Cover
    E&G Classics Fine Mesh Grille
    6000K Headlamps
    6000K Fog Lights

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster Limited #32195
    Pearl Black Clear Coat
    Dk. Slate Grey/Cool Vanilla Two-Tone Interior
    Foose Speedster 5 Chrome Wheels

9. Likes IAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSam View Post
    What will it do to the paint? Dents or scratches?
    Scratches on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by hmarksanford View Post
    Scratches on mine.
    Do you think exchanging pads wouldn't fix it?

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Wink

Hi Bill

Wear is our problem, our XLR have 10 to 15 years of age, time makes it happened, this temporary fix is a fine way for now unless of changing the defectives parts and this will become an expensive repair that could have some crazy costs.

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    Hi Bill

Wear is our problem, our XLR have 10 to 15 years of age, time makes it happened, this temporary fix is a fine way for now unless of changing the defectives parts and this will become an expensive repair that could have some crazy costs.

IAN
    The problem with mine is when the roof folds and goes down into the trunk it is held there by hydraulic pressure. At that point there are two hooks below and on each side of the roof that come up and hook bars attached to the roof. On mine the hydraulic pressure releases before the hooks can attach to the bars and the roof is not secured as far down into the trunk as it should go. So it is free to bounce upwards at every bump in the road causing the damage.

You can manually take the palm of your hands and push down on the edge of the roof to make it engage with the hooks. I've done this but I would not recommend it unless you are going to keep the top down for an extended period.

I showed the shop guys at my Cadillac dealership but they still could not fix it.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Wink

Hi Hmark...

If the top bounce up and down and ifthese Hooks do not ancher properly on its Bar, that could be perhaps that the hydraulic oil level is low, if that so, then it could also could mean that there is a or some leaks from the hydraulic tubings or else.
    Perhaps the hydraulic closing parts are at the end of their age, and for safety I would be concern in making sure that the top really close perfectly ounce its on the closing stage, so that it will not fly away on Hy way.

Dont take my words, contact ''TH'' Top Hydraulic, see the header advertising on this page, also make a search on GOOGLE, ask for the XLR TOP PROBLEMS and get to know how your XLR top works, he as produce some many videos on the XLR top.

TH is a real expert on hydraulic top of all king of cars.

Good Luck and have fun in viewing the videos, let us know your result on your repair.

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

If you could find some pads that had threads that were less coarse or a softer material that would definitely help but again this is not a fix.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

Hey

And again I would ask...What is the issue which is occurring? Are there hinge joints wearing out? Are there adjustments that go "out of adjustment" It was mentioned that GM knows about this and that there was a fix.... a bracket that would remedy the matter, but that it was on back-order. What is the part number to the 'updated" bracket?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Hey

And again I would ask...What is the issue which is occurring? Are there hinge joints wearing out? Are there adjustments that go "out of adjustment" It was mentioned that GM knows about this and that there was a fix.... a bracket that would remedy the matter, but that it was on back-order. What is the part number to the 'updated" bracket?

Bill
    Bill -

I remembered seeing info on this on the forum years ago so I knew how to search for it (did google advanced search, this site only, all these words: paint mark).

Here’s a link to a thread (and there are other links listed in posts within the thread, you REALLY should click those) that might answer your questions - Paint wear mark on roof. There’s also info in there on various DIY low tech ways people have addressed it. And this link, out of that thread, has a TSB on it: 2006 XLR. I googled the TSB title in quotes & you can find it in the forum knowledge base so the pictures will display, here: 2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR and XLR-V: Service Bulletin: XLR Roof Does Not Latch At Rear Corners In Stowed Position.

Seems to be a common problem that’s been around a while and is caused by the need for a latch adjustment, per the TSB. I don’t recall running across anything about a new bracket, but maybe you can go behind me on some of my searches & find something on that.

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

18. Likes IAN, long Tall Sally liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 XLR Electra Blue

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATING View Post
    Bill -

I remembered seeing info on this on the forum years ago so I knew how to search for it (did google advanced search, this site only, all these words: paint mark).

Here’s a link to a thread (and there are other links listed in posts within the thread, you REALLY should click those) that might answer your questions - Paint wear mark on roof. There’s also info in there on various DIY low tech ways people have addressed it. And this link, out of that thread, has a TSB on it: 2006 XLR. I googled the TSB title in quotes & you can find it in the forum knowledge base so the pictures will display, here: 2004 - 2009 Cadillac XLR and XLR-V: Service Bulletin: XLR Roof Does Not Latch At Rear Corners In Stowed Position.

Seems to be a common problem that’s been around a while and is caused by the need for a latch adjustment, per the TSB. I don’t recall running across anything about a new bracket, but maybe you can go behind me on some of my searches & find something on that.
    Thanks for the info! I tracked that article down several months ago and tried that but it did not help mine. The Cadillac service manager said my hinges were warped and quoted me an outrageous price. I didn't believe him anyway, I think mine has to do with the timing of when the top is in place and when the hooks actually latch.

20. Likes XFireXLR liked this post