Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black Base

Default Break pads and rotors

Need to replace and looking for suggestions. I only drive about 3k miles a year and trying to watch cost. I see them on ebay for XLR and Corvette, complete sets starting around $200 and up for drilled & slotted with pads. Are these junk? Must I spend $400+ or is there a less-expensive brand that I can buy with some confidence?

Thanks all!

Break pads and rotors rexster314's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Base Infrared

That low mileage should let you turn the rotors at a auto parts store. Buy name brand stuff. The old saying holds true. You get what you pay for

3. Likes pure zen liked this post
    Break pads and rotors nerkpowers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven, Ebony

Try R1 Concepts. They make aftermarket rotors and sell name brand pads. Iíve had these 4 years and have been happy. I got the zinc coated, wish I would paid s bit more and got the black rotors. I got the Posi-quiet pads, but others here swear by Hawk. Either way the ceramic pads reduce dusting. Go to Retailmenot.com and enter in R1 Concepts. They usually have a 20% off code for pads+ rotor purchase. Good luck.
    R1 Concepts Performance Brake Parts – Brake Rotors, Brake kits, Brake Pads, Brake Accessories, Rotor Disc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods
    Corsa Exhaust
    Rear Sway Bar
    Eline Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Infrared/Silver powder coated calipers
    Embroidered Trunk Lid Liner

5. Likes Mark0polo, XLRV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black Base

Quote Originally Posted by nerkpowers View Post
    Try R1 Concepts. They make aftermarket rotors and sell name brand pads. Iíve had these 4 years and have been happy. I got the zinc coated, wish I would paid s bit more and got the black rotors. I got the Posi-quiet pads, but others here swear by Hawk. Either way the ceramic pads reduce dusting. Go to Retailmenot.com and enter in R1 Concepts. They usually have a 20% off code for pads+ rotor purchase. Good luck.
    R1 Concepts Performance Brake Parts Ė Brake Rotors, Brake kits, Brake Pads, Brake Accessories, Rotor Disc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the replies. Appreciate the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Liquid Amethyst

i kinda liked the oem acdelco rotors. they come with a specialized finish, that really inhibits the rust.
    i am liking it better than the zinc coated ones i have on other cars.
    all the slots and holes do is provide more places to rust! and cut the pads faster.
    the oems are so cheap i got over the need for performance looking rotors.
    plus in my experience they have more issues, rust, pad wear, noises...
    moving on, i got pads from porterfield
    some older threads i wrote on the topic : info on part numbers prices etc
    pads and rotors sooo easy !

oem rotors

you could probably get cheaper dustless pads. but i stuck with what i know. after a few years these are still performing
    as expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Crimson Pearl XLR

Lightbulb J M O

Agree with Rex,,, just have the rotors turned to save $$ with only driving 3K per year. I have had excellent luck with very low brake dust going with Raybestos Ceramic pads,,but most ceramic pad brands available at auto parts stores should save you money and make you happy....
    http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6664&d=1473338578

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 Black Base

thanks again for replies. I will look for some oem rotors and a decent ceramic pad.