Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default procedure for changing out the orange daytime running lights/turn signals.

Hey

Trying to get things straightened out. Just got the LED bulbs recommended .... So what is the procedure for changing out the orange running/directional signal bulbs on the XLR? I was told that the wheel needs to be removed and the headlight must come out. Huh??? Am finding that hard to believe. Had planned to do the switch out this weekend.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Infrared XLR (Beauty); 2008 GT500 (Beast); 2007 Black XLR-V (Victor)

Dd you find this thread?: LED Turn Signals/DRLs. Good write up that we used.

P.S., no findy OEM radio yet

yep, I drive a hybrid - a V8 bred for high speed!

2006 Infrared XLR
    Corsa exhaust
    XLR-V sway bar
    Powder coated calipers
    Drilled & slotted rotors
    Custom engine cover
    Custom hood & trunk liner
    Zaino polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XLRATING View Post
    Dd you find this thread?: LED Turn Signals/DRLs. Good write up that we used.

P.S., no findy OEM radio yet
    Thanks!!!! Excellent write up for sure.......

I have read here recently regarding the bulbs, that sometimes the resistor addition is not required. Sure would be nice to know if that is the case with my car. Buying the resistor kits, just to have "in case" is a cost that would be nice not to incur if, in the end, I find they are not needed. Any way to confidently predict whether a particular car will need them ?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

Default bulbs

some bulbs listed on ebay say they do not need resistors. Might look into that.

procedure for changing out the orange  daytime running lights/turn signals. nerkpowers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 Black Raven, Ebony

The purpose of mounting the resistors outside of the headlight housing is to have the heat dissipated away from the headlight to prevent further crazing. Just buying an LED with the resistor mounted into the socket Iím not sure achieves that result. In any case, the resistance of the LED lights is not sufficient and the BCM reads it as a burned out bulb and hyper flashes to let the driver know that there is a problem to be remedied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods
    Corsa Exhaust
    Rear Sway Bar
    Eline Drilled and Slotted Rotors
    Infrared/Silver powder coated calipers
    Embroidered Trunk Lid Liner

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

my bulbs are just regular led and do not have a resistor i nthe mand they do not get hot. they work fine and do not flash faster than the factory bulbs. The riesistors that some use are a lot of heat and can melt thinks if not properly mounted o na heat shrink and away fro manything that will catch fire. I will stick with the bulb arrangement I have .There is zero heat on the bulb and socket . I think some peoples problems are on the 04 and 05 that did not get the update socket from GM. They had a problem and a recall to install a newer socket. You can tell if you got it by seeing the wires with a pinkish butt connector on them. Some people said it moved the bulb back from the lens but I have not seen that. Its just a new socket as the heat melted the original ones. However you do it . it will pretty much stop further deterioration.