Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR

Default Fuel system codes, need some help.

Hoping someone can help me navigate this one. Recently my check engine light came on. According to the code I had a bad mass air flow sensor. Bought a new OEM one and replaced it. Same problem. Now I'm getting the following codes: P1101 - Mass air flow sensor out of self test range, P0174, Fuel trim system lean bank 2, P0171, Fuel trim system lean bank 1, P0101, Mass air flow sensor performance, and P0068, MAP/MAF Throttle Position correlation. The car isn't running right, and at low speed/low throttle it's pinging.

I Don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this one. I'd prefer to do the work myself unless it's something major. Unfortunately, my local Cadillac dealer's service department is inept at best. I don't say that out of spite, they really do not have a clue what to do on an XLR which they've shown me several times.

Any idea what I should check/replace in any particular order? I.E., I don't want to replace fuel pumps to find the problem was an O2 sensor.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

'16 Z06, "06 XLR-V Infra Red-Sold, RII, RIII & RIV survivor, Mdwst Maurader

I'm assuming you have a Tech II and are deleting the codes once you have changed out your parts. Do you have an aftermarket cold air intake or the stock system? The mass air problem pops up mostly with aftermarket intakes. They also draw more air, which can cause the lean fuel codes.

If your Cadillac dealer is inept, you may try a Chevrolet dealer who does a lot of Corvette work, as there are quite a lot of similarities to the systems. Good luck!

Cubby

Quote Originally Posted by bobolope View Post
    Hoping someone can help me navigate this one. Recently my check engine light came on. According to the code I had a bad mass air flow sensor. Bought a new OEM one and replaced it. Same problem. Now I'm getting the following codes: P1101 - Mass air flow sensor out of self test range, P0174, Fuel trim system lean bank 2, P0171, Fuel trim system lean bank 1, P0101, Mass air flow sensor performance, and P0068, MAP/MAF Throttle Position correlation. The car isn't running right, and at low speed/low throttle it's pinging.

I Don't want to go down the rabbit hole on this one. I'd prefer to do the work myself unless it's something major. Unfortunately, my local Cadillac dealer's service department is inept at best. I don't say that out of spite, they really do not have a clue what to do on an XLR which they've shown me several times.

Any idea what I should check/replace in any particular order? I.E., I don't want to replace fuel pumps to find the problem was an O2 sensor.

Thanks in advance!

Cubby558

"If you want to blend in, Ride the Bus"

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2008 xlr White

Default check it out

Start with an easy fix. Check the bolts on the intake manifold to make sure they are torqued properly.
    then you may need to go to the dealer if your computer was not flashed at some point

Bulletin No.: 09-06-04-032A

Date: August 06, 2009

Subject: Check Engine Light On, DTC P1101, P0068, P0171, P0174 (Reprogram ECM)

Models:
    2004-2006 Cadillac SRX, XLR
    2005-2006 Cadillac STS
    Equipped with Engine RPO LH2
    Please Refer to GMVIS

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to change the labor time information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-04-032 (06 - Engine/Propulsion System)

Condition

Some customers may comment on an illuminated check engine light shortly after a cold start with no engine performance concerns. Upon inspection, DTC P1101 (Intake Air Flow System Performance) may be set. In some instances, DTCs P0068 (Throttle Body Airflow Performance), P0171 (Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1) and/or P0174 (Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2) may eventually set as a result of the DTC P1101.

Correction

Verify the condition. If the diagnostics in SI for the conditions described above do not isolate a fault, reprogram the ECM with the revised calibration that has been developed to address this condition.

Verify that the multiple diagnostic interface (MDI) that is being used is configured to the PC that will be used.

Warranty Information

charge time is .4 of an hour

For vehicles reprogrammed under the 8 year/80,000 mile (130,000 km) emission controller warranty, use the table above.