Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2009 XLR Platinum, Black on Black on Black

Default 2009 XLR (Base) - Roof Top Motor FIX - Thermistor Issue

All -

So I was getting a message for about a week that said: Roof Top Over Temp. Long story short, as 05 Grand Daddy pointed out, I might have a thermistor issue. Turns out, that was the case - and I know what the source of the prombel was: I washed my car on an incline where my trunk end was lower than my front end - so, per gravity, the water naturally flowed to the back end. And, thanks to some compromised seals, this caused water to leak into the pump motor hold area, which ultimately put water into my pump.

So here's what I did: I ripped out the pump motor and used this video as a guide: YouTube.

During the removal process, noticeable amounts of water came out of the unit, particularly from some housing covers and a foam pad at the bottom of my pump. I tested the motor using a 12V battery - motor whirred like a charm. Tested wire connections, all checked out. Except for the thermistor.

The thermistor is located within the pump motor, but it is crimped shut with virtually no access. So, I used a hair dryer (on a low-heat setting) and dried out the thermistor for about 20 minutes. I plugged it back in, said a prayer, and voila! It worked. My roof top is now going up and down no issues. About a 3 hour job (with some dinking around in between).

I also noticed that water was congregating in the back right portion of the pump motor hold. My hole was in the front right portion; so I drilled a hole on the back right side, so water can more effectively drip out.

A couple of notes on prevention of getting water into your roof top motor:

-Inspect and Replace any seals on the trunk side (e.g. decklid seal, taillight seals) that could be a leak source. If not replacing, seal any holes with a sealing agent (I used silicone).
    -If washing the car, cover the pump motor with something - plastic bag, etc. - and secure it - rubber band, plastic straps, etc.

I hope this helps the community!

Jay

2. Likes IAN, 05 GRAND DADDY, hawkeye372, pure zen liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Jay

Good find

This repair shop is a real expert….. a fine video in supporting the ''do it your self''

IAN

4. Likes hawkeye372 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Light Platinium Silver XLR

Default 2009 XLR (Base) - Roof Top Motor FIX - Thermistor Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Jayharrington View Post
    All -

So I was getting a message for about a week that said: Roof Top Over Temp. Long story short, as 05 Grand Daddy pointed out, I might have a thermistor issue. Turns out, that was the case - and I know what the source of the prombel was: I washed my car on an incline where my trunk end was lower than my front end - so, per gravity, the water naturally flowed to the back end. And, thanks to some compromised seals, this caused water to leak into the pump motor hold area, which ultimately put water into my pump.

So here's what I did: I ripped out the pump motor and used this video as a guide: YouTube.

During the removal process, noticeable amounts of water came out of the unit, particularly from some housing covers and a foam pad at the bottom of my pump. I tested the motor using a 12V battery - motor whirred like a charm. Tested wire connections, all checked out. Except for the thermistor.

The thermistor is located within the pump motor, but it is crimped shut with virtually no access. So, I used a hair dryer (on a low-heat setting) and dried out the thermistor for about 20 minutes. I plugged it back in, said a prayer, and voila! It worked. My roof top is now going up and down no issues. About a 3 hour job (with some dinking around in between).

I also noticed that water was congregating in the back right portion of the pump motor hold. My hole was in the front right portion; so I drilled a hole on the back right side, so water can more effectively drip out.

A couple of notes on prevention of getting water into your roof top motor:

-Inspect and Replace any seals on the trunk side (e.g. decklid seal, taillight seals) that could be a leak source. If not replacing, seal any holes with a sealing agent (I used silicone).
    -If washing the car, cover the pump motor with something - plastic bag, etc. - and secure it - rubber band, plastic straps, etc.

I hope this helps the community!

Jay
    Awesome that fixed it, but here’s better way to wash our XLR’s either waterless Spray on Wash N Wax or 1 Gallon of water in bucket an a capful solution with 2 microfiber towels and No Hoses needed! Roxy hasn’t been hose wash for about 3 years now! Oh and it Ships Free too!
    Find them at Quality Products for Quality Cars – Powered by CroftgateUSA

Or use direct link to eBay
    Bucket Style

Wash & Wax 8oz DIY Wipe on wipe off technology [1 Cap full in 1 gal of water] | eBay

Spray on Wash n Wax
    AQUANIL-X 32oz. DIY Waterless Car Wash & Wax (Non Hazardous) | eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 05 GRAND DADDY; 05-21-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    WENDY & DAN
    I'LL HAVE MY WONDERFUL WIFE!!!!!!!
    MY XLR & AND A ICE COLD BEER!!!!!!!

6. Likes hawkeye372 liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

N/Z

The only way you get water IN your motor is if the drain hole for the cubby is plugged. I check mine every 6 months, the parts in that cubby are unobtanium for the most part.

8. Likes IAN, pure zen liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 V, Raven Black with Shale interior

Hey

About three weeks ago in a torrential rain storm, I noted a very small amount of water had gotten into my well. It got in there, as /i had driven through some standing water at hi way speed. Kind of sudden unavoidable and unexpected. i checked and found a very small insignificant amount of water in the well. Inspected the Top module and found it is only affixed by adhesive tape at the bottom . Why not, as I did, remove it and re-attach it to the side wall of the tub, similarly with double faced adhesive tape? Think that the potential for water damage has been greatly reduced . Also afixed a water shed "shingle" immediately above the unit, should any water come in from above. Wonder why this was not the original placement in the factory.

Bill

10. Likes IAN liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Bill S.

Very good, simple idea….. the water drain remains to be check ?.

There is room available in between the backrest of the seats, the consol space could be smaller and used for the top and suspension modules, the motor could have been installed in the trunk wheel housing area close to the VICM module, there seems to have dry room for them and access for the maintenance.

This fine car is build for the return of the owners to their dealership XLR maintenance and parts sales, even a bulb replacement is recommended in the owner manual by the dealer.

Since that venture with the corvette and its poor sales results with poor profits, this car builder let us down now with the no parts availability on many vital and captive items.

It is a shame…..

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 infrared xlr

Quote Originally Posted by IAN View Post
    Bill S.

Very good, simple idea….. the water drain remains to be check ?.

There is room available in between the backrest of the seats, the consol space could be smaller and used for the top and suspension modules, the motor could have been installed in the trunk wheel housing area close to the VICM module, there seems to have dry room for them and access for the maintenance.

This fine car is build for the return of the owners to their dealership XLR maintenance and parts sales, even a bulb replacement is recommended in the owner manual by the dealer.

Since that venture with the corvette and its poor sales results with poor profits, this car builder let us down now with the no parts availability on many vital and captive items.

It is a shame…..

IAN
    In regards to the light bulb I was going to go to my local auto parts store until my service guys said everything that needs to be done to change the bulb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 infrared base
    date purchased oct 4th 2012 at the time she had 20758 miles on her.

Every time I see my "BABY" I smile and say to myself, "I still don't believe i am a owner of this Great car".

Topless is the only way to drive

Florida is a convertible state

13. Likes IAN liked this post