Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

Default Squealing from the blower fan

Turned on the AC for the first time this year (always drive with top down). Hydraulics is on the fritz. Fortunately the top is secure, but I need the AC on now. Any thoughts about stopping the noise. I also noticed that if I cover the center vent on the drivers side the noise gets muffled, but not on the passenger side. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2007 (red) with wire grrile

BobbyT, Perhaps you could provide more description regarding the noise-- is it a squeal a rattle, or does it sound as if some soft materials is flapping the air flow. If it's a definite squeal, then you have a potentially serious problem.. if you can locate the blower motor, check to see if it has some "oiler holes" where the bearings would be located on either end of the assembly. I would have checked mine, but my car is miles away in covered storage. If you can get some lube into the bearings, you can often greatly extend the life of the blower if the sound is bearing squeal... the alternative is to remove the old one and install a new one... and this can be an "opera" given the tight spaces...if it's a "flapping," I've experienced this on other cars, and it could simply be aged foam material that hitting the blower blades. I trust others will weigh in, as blower motors do have a service life, and over the years, if the motors start to drag, because of internal friction, the blower motor fan will blow and the climate control will simply not work. Hope this help to advance the thread and advice for you, James

3. Likes IAN liked this post
    Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Question well well well

BobbyT

Click on the web address of the header advertiser ''Top Hydraulics'' and see his many videos, you could find the answer for the top problem.

Regarding the ventilation noise it could be a mechanic problem as previously suggested but also a well filled of debris and could needs a cleaning ???

IAN

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

Because the noise was just coming from the driver side vents, I took my air compressor nozzle blew the air in from all vents outlets. Some debris came flying out. No more squealing. Problem solved. Waiting for the next problem to occur. ��

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004 silver XLR

Unhappy Debris in the well

BoobyT

There is on RH ( and LH ) side a water drain tube for the well, if you can get your XLR on hoist at the next oil change, check the end of it.

The tube end is flat, to stop the little beasts, but it will get the water to exit.
    Make sure it is free of debris or of some littles settlers.

IAN