Cadillac XLR Net - The ultimate online hub for Cadillac XLR owners and enthusiasts!
Supporting Membership - Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertise With Us

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2004 XLR with leaking shocks

Randy, My family spent many a time at Lake Tahoe for family reunions. Thanks again, Ed
    Last edited by EJW 71; 06-02-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: message correction

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2004 XLR with leaking shocks

Of course I thought of something else. It's my understanding that the Bilsteins in question fit 2011-2013 Corvettes. So, who has the OEM stock number for the original AC Delco shocks on the 2011-2013 Corvettes? I get a 10% discount at local Chevy/Corvette dealer plus their labor rate is lower than Cadillas, $90 vs $99. My American Standard Auto Products extended warranty coverage would only pay $90 labor at Cadillac. Of course this was not explained to me at purchase. That's the 2nd firm that has lied to me on warrant coverage. I guess I'll just go extended GM coverage next time. I checked out Hemmings to see if anyone rebuilds the Mags. No go. Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 Black XLR

I have a set of Simulators that I purchased from caspers that I am looking to sell. Never got a chance to install them. If anyone is interested for a huge discount please check out my post in the for sale section.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2015 Escalade, 2011 EXT, 2007 Escalade, 2004 XLR

Default Update on Mods

I have been watching this thread for some time now. I have (2) 2004 XLR's with the same front end problem as people talked about in this thread. Now that some of you guys have done this mod is everything ok going to the Bilstien shocks and simulators? If so can someone reaffirm the parts numbers for the front and rear shocks as well as the simulators?

Thanks for all the research! My caddys ride like an army jeep!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004, Black on Black

Hey k9husker,
    Here are all the part numbers needed for the Shock mod. I purchased all these parts on ebay with free shipping.

Front Shocks, Bilstein B8, part# 24-029773
    Rear Shocks, Bilstein B8, part# 24-029780
    Simulators, Caspers Electronics, part#109096
    Access Denied

Also, don't forget to add a rear sway bar. What a difference that makes. I cant believe GM didn't install a rear sway bar at the factory. I used a 1" one, for a 2005-2009, Z51 Corvette. Here is the link for the Sway Bar mod:
    Rear swaybar parts list '04-'09

rear sway bar, Corvette Z51, GM part#10339124

I'm super happy with this set up, my XLR rides like a dream! Good luck with your car!
    See Ya!
    Randy
    ***Randy's Bomb Shop***

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 Platinum XLR

Quote Originally Posted by k9husker View Post
    I have been watching this thread for some time now. I have (2) 2004 XLR's with the same front end problem as people talked about in this thread. Now that some of you guys have done this mod is everything ok going to the Bilstien shocks and simulators? If so can someone reaffirm the parts numbers for the front and rear shocks as well as the simulators?

Thanks for all the research! My caddys ride like an army jeep!
    Been driving mine as a daily for a few months now with this setup - no issues so far!

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2005 blue

Default shocks

I just replaced my rear shocks with KYB 555609. To get the "service ride control" message off the DIC, I put an 8ohm 50watt resistor on the shock wire. Then I tie wrapped the ride level control arm in the up position (this requires the removal of the arm to the "A" frame). I've put about 100 miles since with several starts and stops.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dawnst3ar View Post
    Been driving mine as a daily for a few months now with this setup - no issues so far!
    did you put on 4 or 8 simulators?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2006 XLR Light Platinum

I have owned many Corvettes and my 2001, 2003 & 2004 were all Z06. Of the three the 2004 with Magnetic Ride was the best handling and best ride. I wouldn't think of removing Mag-Ride from any car. The ride is way better than conventional shocks. This one reason i bought a XLR and the other was the retractable hard top.

Pit Crew
    Post Thanks / Like

I know just about every post I have read on the corvette forum people say they love the car without the mag ride. I guess when its new and works it is a nice ride. However when it gets old and spending 3500 to replace it vs 600 for new shocks might make a difference. I will take standard shocks and a rear sway bar as an improvement in the seat of pants feel I get in mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default C Gilliam

I replaced shock with the Bilstein shocks, and added the simulators two per wheel,but.still have the 80 mph and service ride control . Still will not go over 80mph
    Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac XLR

2004, Black on Black

Hey C Gilliam,
    The first thing that I would check is to make sure all of your simulators are plugged in correctly. Any one of the eight simulators not making complete contact will cause your issue. In my car I didn't use the ride height simulators, only the shock simulators and I have not had any problems. I see no reason to unplug your ride height modules, unless you lowered your car. If you reconnect your ride height modules, that will reduce your potential problem by 50%. I'm no expert, I can only tell you what has worked in my car.

Also, don't forget to add a rear sway bar. What a difference that makes. I used a 1" one, for a 2005-2009, Z51 Corvette. Good luck!

See Ya!
    Randy
    ***Randy's Bomb Shop***